Thread: Changing Barrells on a 111

scotsstalker

Changing Barrells on a 111

Im playing with an idea at present. I own a 25-06 111G, now I may be looking at perhaps another rifle in the future and quite like the idea of a 30-06, my thinking is itll give me a 2 rifle combo like a 243 and 308.... Now Ive noticed that barrell kits can be bought and this got me thinking..... why buy another rifle when Ive 1 that I like I could buy a 30-06 barrell kit and change the barrells when I needed to..

what do you lads think?? is it feesable or will it lead to some all mighty head aches?

cheers
    SS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsstalker View Post
    Im playing with an idea at present. I own a 25-06 111G, now I may be looking at perhaps another rifle in the future and quite like the idea of a 30-06, my thinking is itll give me a 2 rifle combo like a 243 and 308.... Now Ive noticed that barrell kits can be bought and this got me thinking..... why buy another rifle when Ive 1 that I like I could buy a 30-06 barrell kit and change the barrells when I needed to..

what do you lads think?? is it feesable or will it lead to some all mighty head aches?

cheers
    SS

I do it all the time. In fact just to prove a point I've shot as many as four barrels(calibers) during one range session swapping them on the shooting bench.

You bring up good point. You don't need a second platform(stock, scope, etc) to shoot something else. The other year my son and I both wanted to use 25-06s for deer season, but I only had one rifle with a 25 barrel. No problem. Ten minutes later there were two 25-06s in the room.

On the flip side I make it sound easy to swap barrels. It is, but there are some precautions and a leaning curve involved. I held a mini course for six guys at our club one day. After a few hours after detailing and demonstrating the process they were removing-installing barrels themselves.

Hang around and above all else ask questions. The guys around here are great and will help all they can.

Bill

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I do it all the time. In fact just to prove a point I've shot as many as four barrels(calibers) during one range session swapping them on the shooting bench.

You bring up good point. You don't need a second platform(stock, scope, etc) to shoot something else. The other year my son and I both wanted to use 25-06s for deer season, but I only had one rifle with a 25 barrel. No problem. Ten minutes later there were two 25-06s in the room.

On the flip side I make it sound easy to swap barrels. It is, but there are some precautions and a leaning curve involved. I held a mini course for six guys at our club one day. After a few hours after detailing and demonstrating the process they were removing-installing barrels themselves.

Hang around and above all else ask questions. The guys around here are great and will help all they can.

Bill
    Yup

scotsstalker
    Excellent. Me and the wife are going to save for an Africa trip and that would save me a fortune in buying another rifle. The 25-06 is my go to rifle but for perhaps 6 weeks during the Red Rut the 30-06 would be a better choice. And obviously Africa.

cheers
    SS

Basic Member
    everything you need to know can be found on this site! And, if you can't find it, ask. A couple of years ago I bought my first Savage rifle and cringed at the thought of ever being able to swap a barrel out! Now I have 8 Savage rifles with lots of barrels, and can do a barrel change in my shop in just a few minutes. Every single thing was learned on this great website. Lots and lots of good info. Good luck with your rifle and your hunting trips..