Thread: Boyds Varmint hunter for Stevens 200

Basic Member

Boyds Varmint hunter for Stevens 200

I am putting a Savage 22-250 Varmint barrel on a Stevens 200 short action . Has anyone used the VARMINT THUMBHOLE STEVENSŪ 200 BLIND MAG SHORT ACTION CENTER FEED BULL BARREL CHANNEL stock for this action? Do I have to contact them to confirm the stock has the correct 4.40" action spacing? I am wondering how the plastic trigger guard from the Stevens fits the inletting in the boyds stock. Also did the centerfeed internal magazine fit with no hassles? Any opinions are welcome!

Sent a question to Boyds but would still like to hear any first hand experience while I am waiting to hear from them.
    Last edited by xtratoy; 02-23-2013 at 08:18 PM.

ellobo
    Boyds is in the middle of a software website change and it isnt perfected yet. They used to have a section of Savage's that showed all the dimensions and hole spacing. I don't think that is up and running with this website change yet. Keep an eye on the website to see what you can learn about the info you need when they have completed the changeover.

El Lobo

I have done several swaps like yours and they are pretty strait forward, they don't go by 4.40 spacing they go by center feed 4.40 or stagger feed 4.27 you might have to open the barrel channel a bit, I have never had a problem with the trigger guard.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I have two boyds thumbhole varmint stocks on savage short action centerfeed and another one on a staggered feed,no problems ever.
    the trigger guard worked just right as well.highly recommended,good stocks.

They good stocks. Love them.

Basic Member
    Hmmmm,,,,,,, Now I have to choose a color.......... Does Boyds use a standard size recoil pad if I decide to swap to a heavier recoiling round? I like the way the Limbsavers work but am not real good at getting a good stock to pad blend if I have to alter the recoil pad much.

I put the limb saver over the stock pad, I like they extra Length of pull or LOP, but you can always take the stock pad off, and slip on the limb saver onto a bare stock.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I was looking around and saw Stocks offered by Stocky Stocks. They seem to cost more than the Boyds stock and I am wondering if the price actually reflects better quality.

They are nicer but not twice as nice, as they are twice the price. IMHO

Tanks Dean

Basic Member
    I still haven't heard back from Boyds. I wonder why they even have an email contact area on their site?

palerider338
    Patience is in order......took awhile for them to answer a question I had but they DO respond eventually.

Basic Member
    I had time today to give them a call. They said the trigger guard off my Stevens stock will fit but it will need longer screws located on their parts page. $4 for blue screws or $6 for Stainless. Think I may go with the Pepper color.