Thread: CCI Primer Question

Jason8691

CCI Primer Question

I was out picking up some reloading supplies (.308) today, and as with everything else, the primer selection is pretty slim. But I found some CCI No. 34 primers that say at the bottom For 7.62 Ammunition. Has anyone else seen/used these? Im new to reloading so am not sure of the difference between these and regular CCI primers.

Basic Member
    They are the equivalent of the CCI magnum primer and have the same thickness cup,(.027) the only difference is the primer anvil is shorter in height which decreases the primer sensitivity and reduces the chance of slam fires. Meaning they are designed for the M1A/M14 rifle with its free floating firing pin. These would be the same type primer used at military Lake City ammunition plant for loading 7.62x51 NATO and the No.41 primer would be for the 5.56x45 ammunition. (.308 and .223)

"Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.

*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential."

Mil-spec sensitivity, Military-style semi-automatic rifles
    Initiator mix optimized for ball/spherical propellants
    Available in large (No.34) and small (No. 41) rifle
    Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers
    View Usage Chart

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0
    Last edited by bigedp51; 01-19-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Jason8691
    Cool thanks, I picked up a couple boxes because they were only $4 per 100. As long as they do the job in the brass I have I won't care.

Kill N Grill
    I have used them in 308 and the CCI200 and noticed no difference in pressure signs or group size. I also used them in 7 Rem Mag and 300 WM. As always your rifles may vary from others so work up with caution. I used the #34 with IMR 4064 in the 308 and IMR4831 in the 7MAG and 300WM.
    Last edited by Kill N Grill; 01-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.