Thread: Question about snap cap extraction.

HD80

Question about snap cap extraction.

I recently purchased a Savage 10 PC and haven't had a chance to mount the scope/fire it, but I bought some A-zoom snap caps to dry fire it with and it wont extract them correctly, they just lay in the action when i pull the bolt back. Is this expected? I don't know if they are too light to be ejected, seems that may be the case. I dunno. Anybody have any experience with A-zoom snap caps?

HD80

Re: Question about snap cap extraction.

After much googling I have decided that I already have to fix my first savage before I even fire it. IM SO EXCITED! Failure from the factory is the way I like my guns. Anyway, going to buy a new extractor from SSS. This piece of sh*t better shoot good when I finally get to pull the trigger

Basic Member

The a-zoom caps are a tad undersized in the rim area. My Savage .223 rifle extracts and ejects fired cases just fine. But the a-zoom snap caps won't eject,

Some Savage rifles do need some work to eject properly. But I wouldn't declare the rifle broken based only on the failure to eject snap caps. Try real brass. It might work fine.

Smokepole

+1, try real brass. Savage should take care of you if it's a genuine problem. If not, sell it cheap to someone here.

oldguy

Use real brass before returning I've had problems with snap caps not ejecting.

HD80

Yes, I was a little pissed today about that. I should probably at least wait until I try putting some real rounds through it. Unfortunately its about 20 degrees here and I'm waiting on my scope rings so I don't foresee myself shooting it anytime soon. Its driving me crazy! Those A-Zoom caps are crappy. The extractor dinged them all up and they are already chipping away after about 15 dry fires. FWIW: Don't buy them for a savage .308 anyway.

Joe O

Many shooters that I know are having ejection problems with Savage bolt actions.My M12 LRPV just came back from the factory to correct that problem as well as extreme primer cratering.The Palama pro shop installed a new bolt nose,which cleared up 95% of the primer problem but the 10 rounds I fired for testing (factory Hornady .204),only 3 ejected.First I'll try a .040 detent ball,then adjust the ejector travel by lengthening the slot in the rear.(spring is fine),and if that doesn't fix it,I'll buy the custom extractor that Fred At SSS, sells.Seems Savage needs better quality control.Took me an extra week to return my gun,because the first bolt nose they made was for a right port ejection.I guess whoever test fires the guns,never looks at the primer strike,otherwise my gun should never have been shipped,the first time.