Thread: Question about bipod

SniperGoat

Question about bipod

Hi friends. I would like to put a bipod on my 111 30-06 but I'm not sure what height to get. Most of my shooting is done from a bench, but I also plan to do some occasional shooting from the prone position. I dontr know whether to get the 6"-9" or the 9-13". Any suggestions on my bipod?

Basic Member

Re: Question about bipod

I have the 6-9 Harris swivel with notched legs. I like it a lot. There is a time here and there the 9"isn't enough but just for big up hill shots and tall grass. I do want to get the roto lock and swivel lock for mine I hope that will help tighten my groups up.
    Last edited by missed; 01-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Basic Member
    I would lay prone with something 9-10" high to rest the rifle on and see if it's tall enough or too tall, then you can decide.

I also have the 6-9" and find it's good for both shooting off the bench and prone. As missed noted it may not be tall enough for you if/when shooting uphill or needing to clear tall grass, but the 9-13" would be too tall for bench work IMO. With a standard Protektor bunny ear rear bag with heavy bottom I usually only have to extend the legs about an inch when shooting off the bench.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I have the 6-9 and have used it at both ends, but usually this range is just fine. I shoot mainly prone but some times bench. Seems to work fine. I would rather be too short and add some spacer under the bipod than fight a tall bag at the back and too much arch in the back. I recommend the 6-9.

Joe

stangfish
    Some guys buy the 9"-13" and cut the tubes down to put it in the middle about 7"-11". Seen a few and they looked and worked fine.

david8989
    I use a 6-9" Harris BRMS and it has been the perfect height for bench and prone. My buddy uses a 9-13" and I can't shoot his gun comfortably because its so high

SniperGoat
    6"-9" it is. Thanks for the advice folks.

SniperGoat
    Ended up investing in a 6"-9" Harris swivel bipod with notched legs. **** they're expensive! Havent been to the range yet but just laying prone on the living room floor I can tell that this is a huge step forward in stabilizing the rifle. I feel good about this purchase.

LanceS4803
    Yeah, they are pricey, BUT those notched legs are fantastic.
    I used one this past hunting season, and getting into position was super easy. Just reach up and hit the button and that leg springs right out!
    Too easy.

Swivel and notched legs are mandatory.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar