Thread: Who's using Norma or Nosler 300 WSM brass out there.

Basic Member

Who's using Norma or Nosler 300 WSM brass out there.

Been using Win brass for last 3 years. Purchased 6 bags of it back in 09. Went and got a new 50 round bag of Win brass last week. Because doing a new load with some Berger 185 VLDs. When I weighed the new brass the spreed was 23 gains in weight 227-250 GRAINS ! Old brass was all the same lot number for all the six bags and only weighed between 219-228 grains.

So I was looking at getting some Nosler or Norma brass instead of the new Win brass that I got last week. Is the Nosler and Norma brass more consistent and what are the case weights you guys are getting for them.

And if anyone wants to give load specks there using feel free. I'm loading this in a model 14 American Classic.

Thanks for any input.

Elkbane
    Fast1,
    I'm running the Norma brass in my 300 WSM, and have fireformed some into 7mm WSM. It's pretty uniform (I mainly look at the necks, not the weights), but If I can remember to do it, I'll weigh a few and look in my loading log book for some load info.

Like you, I got exasperated with Win brass and started looking for another solution. Last batch of Win I had, even after some pretty sever turning to true up the necks, I was able to retain only 33 usable pieces out of a bag of 50.....and even then as I recall the weights were all over the place. And they were hard as a rock. Ended up putting them in my "for emergency only" brass bin, which is becoming quite a brass collection.
    Elkbane

Basic Member
    I don't have any experience with 300 WSM brass period, but I bought some 270 WSM winchester brass last summer and found it to have inconsistent dimensions (many wouldn't fit the shell holder) and I split a few neck before I ever even fired them. I called Winchester and they picked them up the next day. They agreed that they didn't meet spec and are sending me a gift certificate (for Win product, I assume). The situation does make me leery of winchester brass. I am glad that they made it right, however.

I'm running Norma brass in my 300 and 7mm WSM's.

I'd describe it as near Lapua quality, but softer. Good for necks, but not so good for primer pockets. Even then, I have a batch for my 300 that is on their 12th firing. I anneal necks often, and swage primer pockets when they loosen.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar