Thread: New Nosler AccuBond LR (Long Range)

New Nosler AccuBond LR (Long Range)

Nosler is introducing a long range AccuBond this year. For example, the 6.5 mm is 129 grains and has a BC of 0.561 and a SD of 0.264. This BC is higher than 6.5 mm Berger's 130 grain hunting VLD bullets. The Noslers are looking to be $8.00 more (at least in the 6.5mm bullets) than the Bergers. MidwayUSA is expecting them in stock in late March.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

I don't buy there b.c.s for a second. Some of them are 100 points higher than the bergers. Nosler is known for over inflation of their b.cs for marketing purposes. I'm willing to bet their numbers get adjusted way down once people start calling b.s. on their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I don't buy there b.c.s for a second. Some of them are 100 points higher than the bergers. Nosler is known for over inflation of their b.cs for marketing purposes. I'm willing to bet their numbers get adjusted way down once people start calling b.s. on their numbers.
    Interesting, I did not know that Nosler was known for doing this.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Well, the pic looks pretty interesting--looks like the both the boat-tail and ogive secant are longer, though I could be imagining things. I hope this isn't just vaporware or some kind of hype. My 6.5 284 is good to go for these babies when they come out! : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Nosler has been proven to be the worst on a few occasions. The latest was in issue #81 of the varmint hunter where Bryan litz and the air force academy did independent tests of bullets from Barnes, hornady, sierra, and nosler. On average nosler over estimated. By 6% with some as high as 16%. They also list the same b.c on their ballistic tips as their accubonds of the same weight even though boat tail and ogives are different between the two. I don't trust anything from nosler. Others over estimated on some Bullets too but by two or three percent and only on a few bullets. Noslers were consistently over estimated.

Rumor has it that Litz is already testing these.
    More shooting, less typing.

Those results will be interesting to see. I'm willing to bet they fall pretty close to what the Amax is getting.

so they (litz) do bc analysis in actual wind tunnels? or it simulated in modelling software?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Shot at an actual range using multiple chronys and acoustic sensors. Really should read the article its very interesting and they did a very thorough job.

Shot at an actual range using multiple chronys and acoustic sensors. Really should read the article its very interesting and they did a very thorough job.
    Do you have a link to the test, the inner geek in me would be interested to read it.

Basic Member
    "Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting" book by Litz is a good reference for this and many of the other factors related to long-range shooting; it contains test results for a large number of bullets, and includes his ballistics software program. Instead of the traditional G1 BC, a significant focus is on using G7 BC which is based upon comparison to the current streamlined bullets. Cost is around $55 and I think well worth it as it discusses a wide-range of topics in a semi-technical manner to help you better understand what is really going on with the bullet flight.

Here is a link I found doing a google search. Looks to be the same article published in the Varmint Hunter.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a554683.pdf

Here is a link I found doing a google search. Looks to be the same article published in the Varmint Hunter.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a554683.pdf
    Thanks Stomp.