Thread: Question from new Savage owner/reloader

Garander

Question from new Savage owner/reloader

Hi every one , new guy here.
    After much research i bought a Model10 PC in 223 , great concept .
    However the first outing was disappointing, i broke her in with some American Eagle and mostly
    Reloads from 55 gr fmj to Sirras 69. The groups were not good nor consistent. Certainly not on par with
    My Rem SPS(308). All loads were on the mild side. I had mounted an a2 flash hider and that seemed
    To make matters worse, i soon removed it and saw some improvement but not enough.
    I suspect that this particular rifle is picky on ammo, not a good characteristic for a possible SHTF FIREARM?
    I want to tweak the reloads to optimize the accuracy potential of the rifle.
    Would appreciate any suggestions/help.
    I have read concerns about throat lenght on savage rifles and the are very contradictory, and would like to see some load recipes specifically for the Model 10PC that include COAL
    Thanks
    Garander

Basic Member
    26.5gr W748 with a 55gr bullet loaded to 2.26" should work.

Basic Member
    I would start with 26.0gr of either AA2230-C or AA2460 with the same 55gr bullet and lenght.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garander View Post
    Hi every one , new guy here.
    After much research i bought a Model10 PC in 223 , great concept .
    However the first outing was disappointing, i broke her in with some American Eagle and mostly
    Reloads from 55 gr fmj to Sirras 69.
    Garander
    American Eagle is Federal's "low ball" ammo....far from consistent. Don't expect anything from it other than to go bang.

Reloads from 55-69. I'll assume these reloads were not tailored to your rifle. Were they properly sized, trimmed? Was the seating depth (OAL) set to YOUR chamber?
    What powder,primer,bullet combo were they comprised of?

If the answer to the above questions are "I don't know", then you shouldn't expect much either.

If you really want to check the performance of a rifle, you need to shoot QUALITY factory ammo or properly constructed reloads made for YOUR rifle.

The #10 PC is a good rifle. Mine shoots sub MOA with factory Hornady 55gr V-Max. A good scope helps too.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Garander
    Thanks for your reply TS.
    You are correct in as far as the loads not having been worked up for the PC carbine, the recipes were a starting point and all gave acceptable performance in my AR.
    The brass was trimmed to 1.75, but not selected by headstamp nor was it processed any further, it was mostly 5.56 hulls
    I used 4064 powder simply because of the shortage of other powder in these parts.
    55grainers at 24.5 gr coal 2.25, 69 sierras at 23 gr. coal at 2.26 .
    I know they are far from optimum , it was a first outing but i expected better.
    I would like to know if you are running a flash hider and your opinion on it'impact on accuracy.
    This a very talented group on this forum and i thank you all for you help.
    Garander

I would like to know if you are running a flash hider and your opinion on it' impact on accuracy.
    Best way to find out is to shoot it with and without. After you get some ammunition that shoots better that is.

If you're going to go to the trouble of getting your barrel threaded, I'd look into a quality compensator (brake) rather than a flash hider if you're looking for a reduction in recoil/lift.
    Last edited by thermaler; 02-02-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Garander
    Barrel is already Threaded. Will be running the issued thread protector nut for a while.
    Got a old of some Varget and loaded some sample loads to test along side my M1
    Hornady 55 gr sp flat base win comm brass 24 gr Varget oal 2.2000
    Sierra match king 69gr boat tail hallow point Lake City 5.56 brass over 23 gr of Varget oal 2.260 ( ran through Hornadys
    Cocentricity doohickey) to a + - 2 thousands run out.
    Thanks for the opinions
    Will get it right
    Garander

Did you also completely disassemble the rifle and check EVERYTHING,action screw torque,all scope mount and ring tightness.Also make sure barrel and tang is floated. Shooting off a bipod or bags? It can make a difference.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Always sort brass by head stamp.

It's possible to find a powder charge and seating depth that works good on mixed head stamps but that is not recommended.

Dan
    Last edited by DanSavage; 02-02-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Garander
    Did not take apart, just checked all for tightness, cleaned barrel and headed for the range.