I have a interesting problem with my rifle. Seems the holes for the scope mount base are not drilled perfectly on top of the reciever. It took me a while to find this problem as its just barely enough to see.
I started out with a brand new model 111 in 270. I pulled it out of the box, out of the stock, and sent it to douglas barrels and had them install a premimum air gauged 1in bull barrel 28in long in 6.5x55. I then dropped it in a ultimate varmier stock and topped it with a ken farrel 1 peice scope base. I Shot it for a while working up a load. Once I stepped out in range some, I adjusted the elevation on my scope, and my windage changed. I readjusted my windage and my elevation changed. I was like WTF? I come back home and start going through it with a fine tooth comb. That's when I noticed my scope looked almost like it was off center a bit. I remove it and level the action off the flat spots just forward of the safety, I then put a magnetic angle finder on the scope base and it reads aprox 1-1.5 degrees canted to the right. I remove the base, inspect it, the screws, and reciver and could find no issues. Reinstalled and checked again. Still same measurement. So it appears the holes in the top of the reciever were drilled this way from the factory. Has anyone else ran into this before on a savage rifle, or did I get the one that slipped through the cracks?