Thread: Truing and Timing Action

supergolfer18

Question Truing and Timing Action

Rifle is a FTR comp gun with a Shilen Match Barrel and a Bell and Carlson Stock. Upgraded recoil lug and Sightron 8-32x scope. 20 MOA base

What could I expect if I got this done to my Savage 10 action? Or would the $$$ be better spent getting a new trigger to replace the hunting accutrigger?

Thanks

That1guy

Re: Truing and Timing Action

How does it shoot now?

supergolfer18
    half MOA or better with my handloads

Basic Member
    It probaly won't make it any more accurate. But it will make it easier and smoother to cycle the bolt.

Basic Member
    Fred's T&T will allow you to lift the bolt with one finger without moving the rifle off target. You are responsible for hitting the target.

That1guy

Re: Truing and Timing Action

Id spend the money on a trigger + more ammo, or just ammo if you dont mind the trigger.

supergolfer18
    good info. I was thinking either this or getting a trigger done to it soon. Am looking at Rifle Basix2 or SSS Comp trigger

Nandy
    My sav-2 is set for 8 oz and it feels great and it is safe even when slamming the bolt close. I have no experience with the SSS but I will probably get one for the next rifle. I got the T&T from Fred and it did a great job on making that action smoother. I cant comment on accuracy improvement but it sure did not make it worst.

I have the Sav-2 and SSS. Both are great triggers, but I prefer the feel of the Basix better.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Not to diminish the commercial options but there are improvements you can try yourself for minimal effort and cost- replace standard Accutrigger spring with the target model for lower pull weight. Or you can simply cut off a 1/4 coil at the time until you get a good reduction in pull while foremost maintaining safety; the good thing is doing this with the spring loosened to the least pull, it can be subsequently tightened back to a safer adjustment if necessary . Polish the cocking ramp and other key bolt contact points with Dremmel and fine compound like Flitz to smooth the bolt action and cocking effort, plus simply change to a longer bolt handle like the tactical models to reduce lift. You can google all these for more details.

supergolfer18
    anyone know what I need off original trigger? I took mine off tonight and trying to break it down and put everything in a ziploc baggie

I went with the RB Sav-2 trigger should be here Tuesday

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Not to diminish the commercial options but there are improvements you can try yourself for minimal effort and cost- replace standard Accutrigger spring with the target model for lower pull weight. Or you can simply cut off a 1/4 coil at the time until you get a good reduction in pull while foremost maintaining safety; the good thing is doing this with the spring loosened to the least pull, it can be subsequently tightened back to a safer adjustment if necessary.
    I too have wondered the same. I have heard that the target trigger spring is made of unobtainum and the only way to get it is if you have a target action/rifle with one already in it, it breaks and you have to send it to savage to get it replaced. I also hear they will not sell it seperately. But like I said, this is all hear say, I have no hard facts or can promise its ture.
    I suppose if you got lucky and could find someone who has a complete target trigger they removed and installed a aftermarket trigger, they might sell you their old target trigger. I would be very interested in that myself.

Basic Member
    Ordered mine from Jim at NSS.

joe0121
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I too have wondered the same. I have heard that the target trigger spring is made of unobtainum and the only way to get it is if you have a target action/rifle with one already in it, it breaks and you have to send it to savage to get it replaced. I also hear they will not sell it seperately. But like I said, this is all hear say, I have no hard facts or can promise its ture.
    I suppose if you got lucky and could find someone who has a complete target trigger they removed and installed a aftermarket trigger, they might sell you their old target trigger. I would be very interested in that myself.
    Or you could put the SN of the action into the savage parts search.