Thread: NSS Shilen Special

Basic Member

NSS Shilen Special

Guys,

I'm interested in one of these barrels however, Jim is at the SHOT show. I'm asking to see if i can get some measurements of the contour and your thoughts of a straight taper. I want to build a nice 243 win 24" barrel for hunting and dont want a sporter barrel, but at least next size up in contour. Dont want a heavy barrel either. Anyone have one of these barrels, and how is it performing?

Thanks,

I just received 20 barrels from Shilen that I ordered for lighter weight hunting usage. These Shilen Stainless Match Barrels are all 24" Heavy Sporter Contour. They are one continious taper that stop at .715 at the muzzle. Very similar to the CBI Lite Varmint Contour. I have these in stock in the following calibers:
    243 Winchester - 8 Twist
    6.5 Creedmoor - 8 Twist
    260 Remington - 8 Twist
    6.5X55 Swede - 8 Twist
    6.5X284 Norma - 8 Twist
    7mm-08 Remington - 9 Twist
    308 Winchester - 10 Twist

Jim Briggs

Jim's barrels are usually either no taper or a match to the factory heavy barrel contour (0.820" @ muzzle). As such, the "Heavy Sporter" would be a little smaller in diameter than a standard heavy barrel, but not nearly as light as a factory sporter (0.550" @ muzzle) or factory magnum sporter (0.600" @ muzzle).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I just got one in 6.5 Creedmoor, but haven't shot it yet. I can get measurements for you if you tell me where to measure. It is heavier than I thought, but it is lighter than the Ruger 77V in .280 I used since 1981. I think it is .7 something at the muzzle. Note that these are match barrels and not select.
    Ben
    Last edited by Freepistol; 01-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Are you tax diversified?

Basic Member
    Freepistol,

That would be awesome, and would help me tremendously.If you can measure 6" from the muzzle end and 8" from the shank end would help make me decide if it would work.

I have been thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor, that a cool mid range caliber. I wonder if anyone has a barrel report on these?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Freepistol View Post
    I just got one in 6.5 Creedmoor, but haven't shot it yet. I can get measurements for you if you tell me where to measure. It is heavier than I thought, but it is lighter than the Ruger 77V in .280 I used since 1981. I think it is .7 something at the muzzle. Note that these are match barrels and not select.
    Ben

Westcliffe01
    Has anyone got a reply back from Jim on these Shilen barrels ? The original posting is pretty old and I was curious whether there were any 243 Win barrels left ? Perhaps I just need to get a regular 26" varmint barrel on order ?

Basic Member
    I actually went with a Criterion heavy sporter barrel instead of the Shilen, only because I wanted it custom. Jim @ NSS was great to deal with.