0. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

0 0%
  • Yes

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 110 Date of Manufacture

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclerider View Post
    This photo of the right side of the magazine box clearly shows the release button hardware for the Detachable Box setup. You can also see that the housing attached to the action and the actual magazine box appear to be two separate pieces. If you push in on that metal band on this side at the bend, does the inner housing fall out like it looks like it would?

This photo of the left side of the magazine box clearly shows the detachable magazine release spring wire in place on the housing attached to the action.

It's almost like someone just cut the solid bottom off a detachable magazine to make it into a blind magazine box rather than just replacing the whole assembly with a standard blind magazine box.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

jibben
    H was for high polish

mag wells were the same for both blind and detachable. Floor plate (bottom metal) was changed and button was added for the detachable mag.

You can also see the D&T plugs for the rear peep sights that were common in that era
    Last edited by jibben; 01-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibben View Post
    H was for high polish

mag wells were the same for both blind and detachable. Floor plate (bottom metal) was changed and button was added for the detachable mag.

You can also see the D&T plugs for the rear peep sights that were common in that era
    What is high polished on my unit? And is it common?
    Last edited by motorcyclerider; 01-17-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Basic Member
    Better Scope installed

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Yes it does look at the pics below.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I can honestly say I've never seen one setup like that before. I've seen numerous guns from the 60's and every single one of them that had a blind magazine had a dedicated blind magazine box like shown in this pic.

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Yep, a nice Lyman 48 or 57 WJS would be a nice addition to that gun if you weren't into scopes.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    H was for high polish

Can anyone confirm this? And what is highly polished on it?

Here's an idea since you clearly don't want to believe anything anyone on here has told you: Spend the $25 or $30 or whatever it is these days and just get it lettered by John Calhoun. This will tell you everything there is to know about the gun.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Savage-firearm

Basic Member
    I just want to know what is Highly polished. What's with the attitude dude? And thanks for the info on the letter.

No attitude, just pointing out the obvious. Every time one of us has told you something in this thread you've questioned it like none of us have a clue what we're talking about - you even tried to turn it into a poll at one point. Mad Dog's by far the most knowledgeable person on this site when it comes to old Savage's and he has access to very specific serial number records. He and I both have copies of most every single Savage Arms catalog going clear back to the 40's and 50's, and a limited selection of catalogs earlier than that. We both have copies of the three books that were printed over the years which cover nothing but Savage firearms - two of which are almost impossible to find these days.

Even with all that reference material to draw from it's still difficult to pinpoint many specifics with Savage firearms because of Savage's own practices throughout the years. Things would (and still do) regularly change with no note of when that change was made (i.e. starting serial number). They've been known to (and still are) to piece odd-ball guns together from whatever surplus parts they have laying around the factory just so they don't go to waste. They always have and still do make a large number of "special order" guns for large distributors (Talo, Jerry's) or retailers (Cabela's, Bass Pro) that aren't cataloged and don't come close to matching anything in the catalog. Now factor in the fact that Savage was sold numerous times over the years and each new owner did a horrible job of keeping/saving records, and in many instances it's dang near impossible to get a 100% positive answer as to who/how/when/what on a given Savage firearm. Go over to the Savage collectors board on the 24hourcampfire website and watch all the Model 99 guru's argue back and forth over exactly what specific model a Model 99 is that someone just posted a picture of.

As for the H standing for "high polish", I'm calling B.S. on that. Why? Because everything that was blued back then had a high polish finish. The only dull finish offered was the low gloss black baked on enamel finish used on some of the cast receivers and small parts on low-end utility models (i.e. parts for the Model 219/220, Model 24's, etc.).

As I said above, I've never personally seen one marked "L-H" before but the only logical explanation for the marking is that it refers to being left handed. That's not to say they didn't use that exact stamping for a number of years, I'm just saying I've never seen it before (late 60's/early 70's era left-hand 110's aren't exactly sitting around every corner you know). Savage never used H to designated any specific feature or option - not then, not now - and that's what leads me to that conclusion. It's not refereed to in any catalog, nor has it ever been referred to in any list or chart I've seen on Savage letter designations. And as I showed you the stamping isn't consistent with how Savage normally expressed a "Series" change.

Whether you want to accept what we tell you or not is totally up to you, but don't act all innocent and offended when we take it as a slap in the face when you question it after we've spent OUR time looking through said reference materials FOR YOU.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    No attitude, just pointing out the obvious. Every time one of us has told you something in this thread you've questioned it like none of us have a clue what we're talking about - you even tried to turn it into a poll at one point. Mad Dog's by far the most knowledgeable person on this site when it comes to old Savage's and he has access to very specific serial number records. He and I both have copies of most every single Savage Arms catalog going clear back to the 40's and 50's, and a limited selection of catalogs earlier than that. We both have copies of the three books that were printed over the years which cover nothing but Savage firearms - two of which are almost impossible to find these days.

Even with all that reference material to draw from it's still difficult to pinpoint many specifics with Savage firearms because of Savage's own practices throughout the years. Things would (and still do) regularly change with no note of when that change was made (i.e. starting serial number). They've been known to (and still are) to piece odd-ball guns together from whatever surplus parts they have laying around the factory just so they don't go to waste. They always have and still do make a large number of "special order" guns for large distributors (Talo, Jerry's) or retailers (Cabela's, Bass Pro) that aren't cataloged and don't come close to matching anything in the catalog. Now factor in the fact that Savage was sold numerous times over the years and each new owner did a horrible job of keeping/saving records, and in many instances it's dang near impossible to get a 100% positive answer as to who/how/when/what on a given Savage firearm. Go over to the Savage collectors board on the 24hourcampfire website and watch all the Model 99 guru's argue back and forth over exactly what specific model a Model 99 is that someone just posted a picture of.

As for the H standing for "high polish", I'm calling B.S. on that. Why? Because everything that was blued back then had a high polish finish. The only dull finish offered was the low gloss black baked on enamel finish used on some of the cast receivers and small parts on low-end utility models (i.e. parts for the Model 219/220, Model 24's, etc.).

As I said above, I've never personally seen one marked "L-H" before but the only logical explanation for the marking is that it refers to being left handed. That's not to say they didn't use that exact stamping for a number of years, I'm just saying I've never seen it before (late 60's/early 70's era left-hand 110's aren't exactly sitting around every corner you know). Savage never used H to designated any specific feature or option - not then, not now - and that's what leads me to that conclusion. It's not refereed to in any catalog, nor has it ever been referred to in any list or chart I've seen on Savage letter designations. And as I showed you the stamping isn't consistent with how Savage normally expressed a "Series" change.

Whether you want to accept what we tell you or not is totally up to you, but don't act all innocent and offended when we take it as a slap in the face when you question it after we've spent OUR time looking through said reference materials FOR YOU.
    I am very thankful for everyones help. Thats why I became a paid member. The only reason I kind of questioned answers I got was that everyone had a different one. But I think it's a sure thing a 110ML and the H marking I might one day contact Savage about it and I'll post what they say. Right know I have been shooting it a lot sighting in the new scope and it a sweet shooter .

Once again thanks guys!

My 67 7mm mag left hand was the same way, other then I had the better stock like the Presentation's. I don't think mine was a presentation as it had the H also instead of the P The mag bax was the same as yours, with the blind plate and no button. Many 67s had the bulge in the barrel yet for the rear sight.

Jan 1968 savage price list
    $111.40 wholesale
    $148.50 retail
    Last edited by Blue Avenger; 01-19-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

deathofamilkjug
    I'm a lot late coming into this. I came across this thread trying to date my 110. Mine is 110C (serial # in upper 105XXX block).22-250 but I have the same stock(minus the recoil pad) and magazine set up. The date stamp on the barrel is 6U. Also have the serial number hand etched on the bolt, which according Wayne Zwoll's "Bolt Action Rifles" pg 493 was standard practice. This thread was helpful, most significantly the letter from the historian. In closing as Mr.Furious said
    Even with all that reference material to draw from it's still difficult to pinpoint many specifics with Savage firearms because of Savage's own practices throughout the years.
    Last edited by deathofamilkjug; 08-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.

iTman

I'm in the same boat.

I am very thankful for everyones help. Thats why I became a paid member. The only reason I kind of questioned answers I got was that everyone had a different one. But I think it's a sure thing a 110ML and the H marking I might one day contact Savage about it and I'll post what they say. Right know I have been shooting it a lot sighting in the new scope and it a sweet shooter .

Once again thanks guys!
    I picked up an IDENTICAL Savage in comparison to yours. My serial is 1115xx and also etched on the bolt. On the left hand side of the barrel the oval is stamped "14u" and on the right hand side with the model it's stamped "110L-D" again, as I said, it's IDENTICAL in that it's a staggered feed blind mag with floor plate and detachable box(option?) and it's a lefty ( yes I'm a lefty) you want to know what the H stands for in L-H and I want to know what the D stands for in L-D!! Obviously its not Left Hand. If you guys need pics I'll post them. I really want to know more about her.

Also, it's a .270 WIN
    Last edited by iTman; 08-25-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Typo/additional info.

Basic Member
    So we have the same identical guns with different model #'s. Mine 110L-H, yours 110L-D. This is intriguing. Post some picks! I would like just to see it if anything else.
    Last edited by motorcyclerider; 10-10-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    No idea why the bolt is etched, bubba maybe, not factory though.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathofamilkjug View Post
    Also have the serial number hand etched on the bolt, which according Wayne Zwoll's "Bolt Action Rifles" pg 493 was standard practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTman View Post
    I picked up an IDENTICAL Savage in comparison to yours. My serial is 1115xx and also etched on the bolt
    There is a pattern starting to form. Anyone else with the serial # etched on the bolt of their older Savage?

Basic Member
    Mine has the last 4 digits of the serial engraved on the backside of the bolt body. F3073xx. 110 7mag from the early 90s I believe with the 3 screw trigger.

And the accutrigger centerfeed 110 270 I bought yesterday has the last 4 digits stamped on the bolt face lug but not on the bolt body. G9966xx.
    Last edited by fatphatboy88; 10-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Basic Member
    Okay this is an interesting thread and also a bit comical. Anyway I have two rifles. One I bought new in the early 90's and the SN is etch on the bolt. the other one I bought new in early 2000's has the last 4 digits of the SN stamped in the bolt head lug.

Also if I could without hijacking this thread beings we are talking letters I would like to know what the G stands for? I heard that SN's that start with a G are "large shank" actions?

Basic Member

Post I am solving this H question come hell or high water!

I started cleaning my guns this week and got around to my Savage Arms 110L-H chambered in 7 mm Rem Mag. This brought up past memories of never being able to solve the mystery of why there is a "H" in my Savages model number. So I spend hours on the internet not finding any helpful info. I've looked at old Savage catalogs, other forums, even read books on the history of Savage Arms. None of this has been able to answer the "H" question. I have learned that the bolt having the serial number etched in it was common from the factory when this gun was produced. I have learned the "H" can mean hinged floor plate. But my example doesn't have a hinged floor plate. I have also learned that the 60's through the 80's wasn't the best of times for Savage and the company changed hands many times. All of the catalogs I've seen that list a left handed 110 list the model number as 110L no "H" in sight. This could just turn out as something trivial. For example one of the numerous owners just decided to use the model number 110L-H as left hand. It could also mean some factory worker was just stamping the barrels incorrectly. But I plan on finding out why that "H" got stamped on there. Also anyone with a 110L-H I would recommend hanging on to them. There doesn't appear to be very many of them out there and if there is some cool back story for that damn "H" it could make the gun become more valuable. Rarity usually drives up value.Savage also made guns that other companies that would stamp their name on. Maybe the "H" has something to do with that? People will call me crazy and obsessed buy I must know the answer. I am waiting for a reply back on my request from Savage and as soon as I hear something I will post it here. I'm also kind of hoping someone reads this and already knows the answer. And it turns out to be nothing special. If that is the case my feelings will not be hurt but my curiosity will be filled. The 1st person to give the answer with proof to back it up will get a 1 year subscription to this forum on me.

Probably just a transition model. The -H could also be that it was a factory conglomeration of spare parts all slapped together. Good luck in your search.

I’ll take a wild stab at this. H=7mm Remington Magnum
    Maybe during the time period this rifle was manufactured, whoever owned Savage at the time was jumping on the Mossberg bandwagon and adding the factory chambering to the model number by means of an additional letter to aid in providing the correct replacement parts in the future. It’s a wild stab, but there is evidence in the thread that another 7mm Remington Mag has the same model designation. I’ll even guess that there are additional 270 Winchesters out there with a D suffix......
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I started cleaning my guns this week and got around to my Savage Arms 110L-H chambered in 7 mm Rem Mag. This brought up past memories of never being able to solve the mystery of why there is a "H" in my Savages model number. So I spend hours on the internet not finding any helpful info. I've looked at old Savage catalogs, other forums, even read books on the history of Savage Arms. None of this has been able to answer the "H" question. I have learned that the bolt having the serial number etched in it was common from the factory when this gun was produced. I have learned the "H" can mean hinged floor plate. But my example doesn't have a hinged floor plate. I have also learned that the 60's through the 80's wasn't the best of times for Savage and the company changed hands many times. All of the catalogs I've seen that list a left handed 110 list the model number as 110L no "H" in sight. This could just turn out as something trivial. For example one of the numerous owners just decided to use the model number 110L-H as left hand. It could also mean some factory worker was just stamping the barrels incorrectly. But I plan on finding out why that "H" got stamped on there. Also anyone with a 110L-H I would recommend hanging on to them. There doesn't appear to be very many of them out there and if there is some cool back story for that damn "H" it could make the gun become more valuable. Rarity usually drives up value.Savage also made guns that other companies that would stamp their name on. Maybe the "H" has something to do with that? People will call me crazy and obsessed buy I must know the answer. I am waiting for a reply back on my request from Savage and as soon as I hear something I will post it here. I'm also kind of hoping someone reads this and already knows the answer. And it turns out to be nothing special. If that is the case my feelings will not be hurt but my curiosity will be filled. The 1st person to give the answer with proof to back it up will get a 1 year subscription to this forum on me.

As was already mentioned in a previous post, the "H" likely denotes a series change or just left-hand..

Through the late 70's and possibly into the early 80's Savage used to use Series designations to denote small changes to the models year-to-year. These changes were just to small parts and/or a change in the part supplier. There's no record for these changes so what exactly changed with each Series will always be a mystery. The "-H" is the dead giveaway that it denotes a Series change. Look at all the other model designations at that time, none of them have a dash anything because that's not how they named models.

H has only been used in the model designation to indicate a hinged floorplate in recent years (2005+). Also, Savage didn't come out with a hinged floorplate on the 110 until the early 1970's, and very few of them ever got into the hands of customers as they had a design flaw in the latch (the latch wouldn't stay latched under recoil and would dump the magazine when you would fire the rifle). Those few that did get out were quickly recalled and replaced with a blind or detachable magazine arrangement.

HotOlds442 suggesting maybe it was for the chambering is also incorrect as Savage didn't start using caliber/twist rate codes on the 110's until 2008 and those codes are covered by the barrel nut when assembled on a rifle.

Basic Member
    Can you link the post discussing the "H" as meaning a series change?

Can you link the post discussing the "H" as meaning a series change?
    Post #12 back on page 1 of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    Just a guess, but maybe Series H? The rifle looks almost identical to my 110CL except for the rear elevation bar. My rifle has a Lyman flip up rear sight. Mine was built in the early 1970s.
    Whether it's a series number or was for left-hand or whatever makes little difference. Most Savage 110's from that period were just stamped 110 or 110L on the barrel whether they were a 110C, 110E, 110M, 110MC, 110CL, 110ML, or 110MCL or any other variation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12