For many years I have been dissatisfied with the round bead front sights on my Model 99 rifles and have been wanting to change them to a setup similar to the XS sights I have on my Guide Gun. So I bought an XS Stripe Front Post. The dimensions are .375 X 60 degrees X .095 dovetail, with with another set of numbers being .100 W x .450 H, .340 Base. I was told that this sight would fit my Savage rifles and that the proper way to drive out the old sight and install the new one is from the right, as the rifle is held at the shoulder. I have the barrel braced and supported but I can not break the old sight out of the dovetail. I have applied heat from a solder iron to break any Loc-Tite that would've been used and that didn't help. I have it soaking with some Break Free but I don't know if that will help either. So, am I pushing it from the proper direction? Am I missing something? I'm afraid to hit my brass punch very hard, lest I loosen or break the front base from the barrel. And just how is that front base attached to the barrel anyway? Will I damage it or break it by hitting the blade too hard? Any advice is appreciated.

Dave Sinko