Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassembly of accustock?

TomKat

Angry Disassembly of accustock?

I have owned several Savage rifles have removed their stocks many times.

I recently bought a Model 11 FHNS in 22-250
    I am having problems getting the stock and the action apart.

I have removed all three screws and the bolt. I cant get them
    Apart.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    PS I own a FAT torque wrench and am aware of torquing requirements of the accustock. My issue is getting the stock apart!

Basic Member

Re: Disassembly of accustock?

I know when I pulled mine the first time the recoil lug was petty tight in the stock.

What's the torque on those stock bolts?

Thanks!

TomKat
    So no one has ever taken one apart?

Am I the only one to ever have this question/problem?

Looking for some help guys

barthowes
    just took mine off for the first time. Once all 3 screws were out and in my hand it came apart without a problem. sorry

Some tend to have a bit of a pinch fit and can stick a little. The one I got for review was that way and I had to use a little umph to get them apart.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

When I pulled mine apart it just took a couple wiggles and it was free.

TomKat
    thanks, I guess I just need to really pull on it. Didnt want to break a brand new gun!!

TomKat
    STILL not doing well....who invented this accustock anyway???

Basic Member

Huh I never would have thought it would have been bound up stuck like that. Have you tried tapping it free with a mallet?

TomKat
    NO

QUESTION: Do you have to have the bolt in for it to come apart? I have had the bolt out all this time...

Basic Member

The book says bolt should be in and closed. I have done it both ways

Whether the bolt is in or not would make no difference. Silly question, but you DID fully loosen the screw for the AccuWedge that clamps down onto the recoil lug, right? This would be the forward most of the 4 screws on the bottom of the stock (rear trigger guard screw, rear action screw, front action screw, and AccuWedge screw). If that screw is still tight the action isn't going to come out of the stock.

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

TomKat
    I dont think I did. I have 3 screws out. One behind the trigger guard, one underthe hinged floor plate, and one in front of that. Where is #4?

Is your bolt release lever in front of the trigger guard? If so, there's a screw under that button. Push it rearward and you'll see it.

TomKat
    THAT is what I needed to know

Basic Member

Ah that's it my 10 is a three screw gun

All AccuStock guns are 4 screw. The rear-most screw just goes into the stock to secure the rear of the trigger guard (doesn't ever need to be removed unless you're removing the trigger guard. The middle two screws are the action screws and go through the bottom metal on DBM and HFP models. The forward-most screw is the screw for the Accuwedge that draws down on the recoil lug.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    All AccuStock guns are 4 screw. The rear-most screw just goes into the stock to secure the rear of the trigger guard (doesn't ever need to be removed unless you're removing the trigger guard. The middle two screws are the action screws and go through the bottom metal on DBM and HFP models. The forward-most screw is the screw for the Accuwedge that draws down on the recoil lug.
    At some point, Savage did away with the wedge. I have a 2011 Model 10 FCM with the accustock. It has three screws. Two action screws and the rearmost trigger guard screw.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    At some point, Savage did away with the wedge. I have a 2011 Model 10 FCM with the accustock. It has three screws. Two action screws and the rearmost trigger guard screw.
    Thanks Thomae, I wasn't aware of that. The last AccuStock I reviewed was a first year (2009) model. Makes sense though as most every in-depth review I read where they tried shooting without the Accuwedge in place saw no difference in accuracy, and in some cases the accuracy improved with the Accuwedge screw out.

Guess that makes the 4-screw models collectable 1 or 2-year wonders. Clearly they'll be worth several hundred pennies more than their 3-screw brethren in the future due to their rarity. LOL

TomKat

Red face

VICTORY!!!

That last screw was hidden under the floor plate release lever. I am glad I didn't REALLY pull on it.

My thanks to everyone who contributed here. Just think, some day there will be a guy on the internet looking for help and when he searches he will find this thread and his life will be a little easyier. GOOD JOB!!!

And now, I will be shipping that brand new AccuStock off to be dipped......in a snakeskin pattern.

After that It will get a proper break in (what ever that means to everyone) and will be one of my main coyote hunting rifles. It is taking the place of a 2006 Model 200 Stevens in .22-250 that killed many a coyote. I had such great luck with the Stevens I thought I deserved an upgrade.

My accu stock only has 3 screws as well.

barthowes
    I bought one 2 years ago and it had the wedge and I just bought a 300sav that also had it. all were the weather warriors. Maybe they weren't as new as i thought

wedge was stopped at least 2 yrs ago. None of the accu stocks I have are wedges and they are 2+ yrs old

Basic Member
    mine is the model 16 in 308win, Cabelas' special. it has the accu-stock with the wedge. i bought it just over 2 years ago.
    shoots good now, not at first. quality control must have let this one slip by, barrel was touching badly on the right side of the stock. i took it apart and retightened to specs and it made a world of difference.

Guys, remember that inventory (guns) can sit on the shelf for a long, long, long time sometimes. Heck, there was a guy on here 6-8 months ago who purchased a NIB rifle off Gunbroker only to find out it had a flat-back action and no AccuTrigger when it arrived. Photo's in the ad clearly showed both and the gun was indeed new/never fired, but he simply failed to pay attention and flat-back actions haven't been offered since 2002.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast