Thread: Scope mount holes canted

Basic Member

Scope mount holes canted

I have a interesting problem with my rifle. Seems the holes for the scope mount base are not drilled perfectly on top of the reciever. It took me a while to find this problem as its just barely enough to see.
    I started out with a brand new model 111 in 270. I pulled it out of the box, out of the stock, and sent it to douglas barrels and had them install a premimum air gauged 1in bull barrel 28in long in 6.5x55. I then dropped it in a ultimate varmier stock and topped it with a ken farrel 1 peice scope base. I Shot it for a while working up a load. Once I stepped out in range some, I adjusted the elevation on my scope, and my windage changed. I readjusted my windage and my elevation changed. I was like WTF? I come back home and start going through it with a fine tooth comb. That's when I noticed my scope looked almost like it was off center a bit. I remove it and level the action off the flat spots just forward of the safety, I then put a magnetic angle finder on the scope base and it reads aprox 1-1.5 degrees canted to the right. I remove the base, inspect it, the screws, and reciver and could find no issues. Reinstalled and checked again. Still same measurement. So it appears the holes in the top of the reciever were drilled this way from the factory. Has anyone else ran into this before on a savage rifle, or did I get the one that slipped through the cracks?

ellobo
    I had the same problem but it was with an older model 99. They were so far off I could not get on paper at 100 yds. It was a .308 with the rotary magazine and birch stock. When I took a look it was obvious the holes were off to the left. I didn't need a guage of any kind, They were so far off it was obvious to the eye.

El Lobo

Team Savage
    Burris sig. zee rings will be your best bet

drybean

Nandy
    Send it back...

jibben
    If Savage will not work with you as you have altered the original gun, You could fill and redrill the holes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibben View Post
    If Savage will not work with you as you have altered the original gun, You could fill and redrill the holes.
    Thats the problem. Once I found this out, I contacted savage and they said since it had been altered from factory configuration, there was nothing they could do. The rifle is probably 4 or so years old by now.

seanhagerty
    Millet angle lock rings will help to fix this.

Sean

Merrixs
    Theoretically, it should not matter as long as they are off the same amount. I could see you saying things got funky just by changing ranges, but you indicated the problem occurred when you adjusted your scope.

If the scope is in working order, you are holding the crosshairs level to the world for every shot, and everything is mounted correctly you could mount the scope on the side of the rifle and up adjustment yields up results and nothing else.

You were not very specific about stepping up the range either. Your load could not be accurate at you new range, and if you were only shooting one shot then adjusting, you could be interpreting adjustment error for bullet impact inconsistency. I think you may have something else going on here.
    Last edited by Merrixs; 01-17-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Speedrat1
    Merrixs has a good take on the functional part... if the scope is installed perfectly level to a perfectly level receiver elevation adjustments should be consistent. If the base holes, centerline of front base to rear base, are not in line with the bore then that would throw a windage error into the mix. Short of chucking it in a lathe or an accurate setup table though that's a pretty hard thing to set up. If it were mine I'd sight it in for the longest range I wanted to use or take the receiver to a smith that can mill or bore the holes in the correct place. 2cents........

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedrat1 View Post
    or take the receiver to a smith that can mill or bore the holes in the correct place
    Thats my plans. I just wanted to see if this was something that has happened on other rifles, or if I got the only bad one.

I am aware that a offset scope can work, its just not the most ideal setup. Since the bore centerline and the scope centerline are not paralell, once you get it sighted in at a specifc range, the POI is basicly a intersection of the rifle and scope. When you change distance, the point of intersection changes and you will no longer be hitting where the crosshairs are pointed. You will need to adjust (both windage and elevation) of the scope for the new range. Where if the scope is perfectly centered (and no wind) you should only have to adjust elevation when changing distances.
    It was a couple years ago this happened, so my memory faded a bit, but I originally typed it wrong and it took me a bit to jog my memory. It was my windage that changed when I went from 100 to 200 yards. I adjusted my windage to get it back on center and thats when the elevation changed. I was using 3 shot groups.

stangfish
    Sorry I read you last post and that clarified things. Do you have a ground recoil lug? Is your barrel bent? What brand of Angle Finder are you using? Miracle Point, Starret, Mtutoyo? I would be interested in the mount screw holes being 180 degrees from the action screws. More importantly in the same axis as the bolt race and purpendicular to the action face.
    Last edited by stangfish; 01-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.

ODA 0121
    Well you could always just get another action, be it Savage, Surgeon or one of the many manufactures.

Speedrat1
    Jeeps it has been reported here before.... may not be the most common problem but does happen. Seems to me last time I read of it here the person called and ended up sending it back to Savage and they replaced it.