Thread: Show Your Custom Rifle Pics

jfowler

Re: Post a Picture of your Rig(s)

thanks SIMS5 get it at lowes i assume?

thanks

james

Basic Member

Actually got the paint at Wal-Mart but I would think Lowes would have it also. Another guy said to wait like 4 days after painting to really let it cure before clearing it. I did it all the same day, we'll see how it holds up.
    Look for Gods blessings..........they are around everyday!<br /><br />Savage 10fp, 12fv, 93fv, 93R17

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sims5
    Actually got the paint at Wal-Mart but I would think Lowes would have it also. Another guy said to wait like 4 days after painting to really let it cure before clearing it. I did it all the same day, we'll see how it holds up.
    There are two big things to getting a quality finish. First is to let the painted stock cure for it to be durable. Second is to make sure the cans are at the proper temperature and thoroughly shaken.

I have done numerous stocks that normally have 5+ coats of different colors/textures and never had any problems as long as I let it cure well. All stocks I Krylon get a few days cure time, normally in a warm area. During the summer I hang it in the sun to help it along, sometimes they get so hot you can barely touch it. During the winter months I will put it in a room and shut the door to help keep the warmth in.

My wife's 9mm AR was Krylon'd three years ago and it has held up very well. The only areas that have wore through are on the bottom of the pistol grip, around the take down pins from taking it apart and where the charging handle rubs. This rifle gets used ALOT. I let it cure for a few days before doing anything with it and then I was gentle for another few weeks but since then it has been used and abused. The barrel has been so hot you can't touch it and still no problems, even on the flash hider. The flash hider is stained from carbon but still painted. There are some reports of tan turning pink with extreme heat but I personally haven't seen it.

Here is her 9mm right after it was done and really it looks about the same today as the day it was done, complete with skulls.

Dolomite

Basic Member

I'm finally 'done' with these two rifles.
    The first is my custom rifle.
    308 winchester 1.10" twist
    27 inch SSS douglas barrel
    Choate UV stock
    T&T action and competition trigger

The next one is a modified stock. I basically 'glued' an AR-15 pistol grip on because I'm too broke to buy a regular stock.
    10flp 223
    1.9" twist
    Competition trigger

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

I suppose this is the rifle that got me addicted to savage when I was about 7 years old. It's a savage 24S-E 22/410 over under. It was the first shotgun I ever shot.

doesn't look like much but it does have some sentimental value to me lol.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

I posted this rifle up above but I have a hard time leaving things alone. Decided to change the paint again since I added a choate cheek piece to the stock and decided it just had to be painted to match, so I repainted the entire stock. Here are a few pictures for ya. Wonder how long I'll leave it like this? ;D

Look for Gods blessings..........they are around everyday!<br /><br />Savage 10fp, 12fv, 93fv, 93R17

Here is a model 11 converted from dbm to blind mag and a Boyd's thumbhole.

and this is a model 12 that I just assembled with parts from Northlander.
    Model 12 223 26" varmint fluted barrel with a Shark Tooth stock from Savage.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

Posted this over in the Rimfire Section but thought I might as well put it here also

Savage 93fv 22magnum, changed the stock to a Boyds nutmeg thumbhole.
    Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 and Burris XTR Medium Rings

Was able to finally get it sighted in today. I chose a 50yd zero. I think it will be a keeper.

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45
    I was looking at those elite scopes, how do you like yours?

Nice scope, sort of wish I&#39;d have paid the extra coin for a Leupy though (Bushy warranty in Canada is typically over four months).

Basic Member

I suppose I can throw mine in here.

Savage .17HMR. This was my first test run for DuraCoat. I broke the stock while applying the clear coat so it wears a new Boyd's Evolution stock. Cabela's 6-18X40mm scope. I WILL be recoating this one!!

Savage 12 .204 Ruger. Imagine this with the Leupy VXIII Stainless 6.5-20X40mm LR. It is getting a VH reticle put in at the Custom Shop right now.

Savage MkII .22LR wearing a Barska Huntmaster 1.5-6X40mm. Garden Pest Control!!

That is it for now, hopefully many more in the future!

Basic Member

I saw a few other non Savage pix in here so i thought I would add a few more.

One brand new, one old. Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44Mag, and S&W K-22 First Model(My Grandfathers first and only firearm).

"Custom" Ar-15 style .223 I built from completely from parts. 20"Lilja, Bennie Cooley brake, Magpul PRS stock, Timney 3# skeleton, Burris PEPR mount with Vortex Viper 6-20X50.

319 VERY NICE
    FROGGY

the bearhunter

brand new stevens 22-250. 1st group shot at 106 yards went 1/2 inch 8)

BugOutBoy

Brand New 111 FCXP3 that I just picked up. That's it at the bottom of the picture. Chambered for .30-06. Thinking about doing some deer hunting and possibly bear as well although I might use my 12 guage with 3" slugs for that! I plan on getting a bi-pod, a sling and a buttstock shell holder as well as a better scope although the stock scope isn't too bad.

Basic Member

B.O.B., are those both .22s at the top?

BugOutBoy

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    B.O.B., are those both .22s at the top?
    Yeah. GSG AK-47 and S&W M&P 15-22

Trey45

BOB, would you mind telling a little about that GSG AK? Reliability, accuracy, any negative issues at all? Ease of use, cleaning, teardown? About how much does it weigh? My son has been bugging the bejebers outta me for a semi auto 22 of his own, he digs my CMMG conversion I have for my Bushmaster, but he digs AK&#39;s even more, this might be the perfect fit for him, depending on how well they function.

Basic Member

Here's my pride and joy LBRP built on a striker action

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

BugOutBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45
    BOB, would you mind telling a little about that GSG AK? Reliability, accuracy, any negative issues at all? Ease of use, cleaning, teardown? About how much does it weigh? My son has been bugging the bejebers outta me for a semi auto 22 of his own, he digs my CMMG conversion I have for my Bushmaster, but he digs AK's even more, this might be the perfect fit for him, depending on how well they function.
    To be honest with you, I haven't shot it yet since I got it in winter and there are no indoor ranges around here. It's finally warming up and I think a friend and I might be going shooting tomorrow. I'll let you know how it shoots. I got a whole bunch of ammo to try on it so we'll what it likes and what it hates.

Edit:
    I got out to the range and put about 50 rounds through the AK today. I was very happy with its performance. No issues at all. It likes Federal 550 bulk ammo and CCI Velocitors. It was pretty dead on accurate out of the box and I didn't really have to adjust the sights. Rapid fire had no issues although I must say that that since I live in NY state, I only have 10 round clips so I don't know how well it would work with the 24 round clip. So far I haven't had any negative issues with it. I haven't really taken it down completely yet, just enough to clean out the barrel with a bore snake. The weight on the gun is not too bad, it's made of metal so it's not too light like my S&W M&P 15-22 but it's not too heavy either, probably around 6,5 pounds or so. All in all, a really fun weapon that costs nothing to shoot.

bgc

Some scatter guns followed me home yesterday.... Savage Milano 12g and a Beretta Xtrema 12g

jdub

The latest member of my family. Delivered this morning almost 16lbs. and 49 inches.

I would love to own one it is just that da-n muzzle brake I hate them. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and replace it with a suppressor, but that's next years project. If I do another this year wife will go crazy.
    FROGGY

jdub

I understand that. I told my wife I was buying a deer rifle so she figured 6-700 bucks and never followed up with me on the price. When this showed up she was a little upset but she&#39;ll get over it. I figure its better to get what I want and begg for forgiveness than it is to ask permission and have her tell me no.

firemachine69

One heck of a deer rifle you got there... ;D

Added my own today:

Needs a Nightforce or a Razor, though. :-\

Corky52

Savage Model 10PC .308, Weaver 4-12x44, Burris XTR rings, Precision Reflex Industries 1 pc mount, Turner Saddlery National Match AWS Sling.

Charlie

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast