Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor powder/primer

Emailabode

6.5 Creedmoor powder/primer

I am going to start loading my model 10 6.5 creedmoor

i have some varget and W760 laying around, and ill be loading berger 140 and 130 VLD hunting bullets

Anyone have any experience loading these and what powder primers seem to work best

I was thinking about using BR2 primers

thanks Pat

That1guy

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor powder/primer

Varget might work, but its slightly to fast to be used with the heavies to get the best velocity. H4350 is probably the best option (its temp insensitive and works very well), with maybe Hybrid 100V, and 760 in there as well judging from the Hodgdon data sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Emailabode View Post

Anyone have any experience loading these and what powder primers seem to work best

I was thinking about using BR2 primers

thanks Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
    Varget might work, but its slightly to fast to be used with the heavies to get the best velocity. H4350 is probably the best option (its temp insensitive and works very well), with maybe Hybrid 100V, and 760 in there as well judging from the Hodgdon data sheet.
    OOOfff!!
    First lets deal with you Pat.

Primers don't mean a soggy-sack-of-shyte. Just develop your loads. The difference that primers CAN make is an ES/SD difference depending upon ignition characteristics. BR2's cut my ES in half in my 308, but open things up considerably in 3 other cartridges.
    Either powder(since you have extra) will work alright. ADI's extruded powders have a nasty habit of contributing to Hard Carbon fouling, 760 does not. 760(same thing as H414) also has the same "copper killing" Tin compounds that CFE is getting praised for; has had for over 20 years. As you should know, 760 is OLD tech ball powder(originally designed for the 30-06 "back-when"). So it can get cranky when the temp goes up, if you are running stiff pressures already. Don't let ammo cook in a hot chamber before firing, and you are fine.

That1guy.
    Not sure why you think Varget is to fast for heavys? www.hodgdon.com has load data that says it actually works quite well with the heavy stuff.

While I agree that 4350 is a nice choice for the Creed, Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders "insensitivity to temp change" is NOT a universal property. It is a feature of being designed for a specific cartridge case. Dr. Denton Bramwell has shown a possible correlation to same parent cases, but also shows that the "property" does NOT cross into other cases as a matter of course; and 4350 was designed around the 30-06. Remember that Varget is also an extreme powder.

All of this is arguing semantics anyhow. There is no statistically valid difference between "Extreme" Vs. non powder in most instances. The trouble with Hodgy's claims is that they give all but NO specifics about the test parameters. What we can see is very irrelevant. Take the 22-250 as an example, the extreme powder "won" by 6 fps.....
    Last edited by darkker; 01-15-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

That1guy

I didnt say there wasnt data.. but why wouldnt Hornady list Varget on the box for 140's if it was as good or better than H4350 like they did with the 120's?

Whats your load with Varget?

I know Varget shows LOTS of pressure before even getting near the same velocity of H4350 and 140's.

I know how temp insensitive H4350 is in Creed in my gun, dont care if its got an "Extreme" label on it or not, and I wasnt just making a blanket statement based on marketing/branding hype, I was speaking from experience.

Anyway. He asked for experience loading those bullets/powder. I gave experience worth exactly what it cost. :)

snowshoes
    Right now berger 140 vld's, 40gr imr 4831 and Fed210M primers are working for me. its not hot but very accurate out of my model 12 LRP. I have shot this load in september (100 degrees) and yesterday (24 degrees) and impact shift is only .5 MOA

Eventually when I start to reload I plan on using Vihtavuori N550 or N560 on 140 grain vlds for my Creedmoor. Also, go to the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum, there is a lot of load development information on that site.
    Last edited by Geo_Erudite; 01-15-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Quote Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
    I didnt say there wasnt data.. but why wouldnt Hornady list Varget on the box for 140's if it was as good or better than H4350 like they did with the 120's?

Whats your load with Varget?

I know Varget shows LOTS of pressure before even getting near the same velocity of H4350 and 140's.
    )
    Remember that production ammo is as much about economy as anything. Why would they? Cheap deal on powder is at least one possibility. Remember that Hornady has gone through a few different "printed recipes" in their creed ammo.

Go to Hodgy's link I posted, Varget is only 60fps behind 4350 in the 140's. Otherwise I don't have a Varget load, I stick with American made powders

Do you have a pressure trace too? Or reading brass?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

That1guy

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Remember that production ammo is as much about economy as anything. Why would they? Cheap deal on powder is at least one possibility. Remember that Hornady has gone through a few different "printed recipes" in their creed ammo.

Go to Hodgy's link I posted, Varget is only 60fps behind 4350 in the 140's. Otherwise I don't have a Varget load, I stick with American made powders

Do you have a pressure trace too? Or reading brass?
    Been to their link, have the pdf, loaded the loads. So you havent used Varget, youre just speculating based on mfr data?

:thumbup:

6.5 Creedmoor powder/primer

Varget shoots quite accurately in the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor...but its burn rate is such that velocity lags a slightly slower burning powder like H4350, especially with 140gr -class bullets.

You will reach pressure with Varget and 140s in those cartridges well before you match 4350 velocities, like 100fps or more before.

Varget is "better" for 120-123gr 6.5 bullets in those cases, but velocity will still lag H4350.

Basic Member
    140 gr VLDs
    H4350 TRY 41-43 gr loads and do the land test 0-.160 off the rifling.

65creedmoor.com for more info