Thread: New Savage Axis Youth 7mm08 owner, progress so far

drphilwv

New Savage Axis Youth 7mm08 owner, progress so far

Howdy all,
    (similar to my introduction post...if you read that move on). So I sprung for the XP youth with the Tasco scope and shorter barrel. I did the 10-24 screw / #9 spring replacement and have the trigger pull down nicely. Used a nylon bushing to tighten up the wobble in the trigger. I stuck a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 scope in it using the original rings. These rings.... I hate them. Has anyone upgraded to others that they prefer. I like the Millett Angle-loc rings usually. So.... all I need to do now is to get some time to break it in properly and then work on sighting it in. This is replacing my trusty Remington 788 which is also a 7mm08. That rifle is heading to the safe to age properly.

So, the first set of questions are... Rings - best ones you have tried? Break in technique? I usually clean & JB, shoot five, clean & JB, shoot 5 clean & JB (up to 20 rounds). I have heard of people just wailing through 20 rounds quickly then cleaning the bore hot. Since there are many more experienced shooters than myself advice appreciated.

Dr.Phil

thomae
    I happen to like Burris Signature Zee rings. That's what I use.

As far as barrel break in, do a search for that term or related terms and you will find any and every technique imaginable described, argued and analyzed in painful detail.

Although many people have "success" with lots of different methods, interestingly enough, no one can define what a barrel break-in "failure" is, so to me, it sounds like it is all really guesswork.

My suggestion is to not worry about it too much. Do a bunch of reading about it, pick a methodology that makes sense to you and go for it. Since you are putting together what is primarily a hunting rifle, you will likely not wear out your barrel even after the rifle gets passed down through several generations of hunters.

That's my free opinion. Worth at least double what you paid for it.

Edit: Oh, yes. I almost forgot. Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here!
    Last edited by thomae; 01-11-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to be polite the first time.

drphilwv
    Well, today I took it for it's first test drive. Today was just to get it on paper and to generate some brass from 30 or so rounds of mixed 7mm08 both handloads and remington. Well, I read a few people discuss this "flexing" issue of the forestock. Yep. I get it. I think it would take a good bit of patience to get this to shoot really tight groups. That said on a pretty windy and freaking cold day I was able to shoot 2" easily with mixed ammo. I think that bodes well for this rifle. Going to give it a good scrubbing tomorrow and tumble all that brass for some handloading. This is the youth 20" model. Recoil was minimal which may have some to do with the flexible stock? Anyway, it's minute of deer easily right now. I think with some coaxing it will be MOA easily.

Tack
    Just wondering what break in procedure you went with? I am waiting for my PTA to come back and by then my Youth 7mm should have arrived at my local gunshop so I'm very interested to hear what you did. I hope to do all the mods you have stated and also going to spend some time on the stock. Just for interests sake, what's a box of 20 premium ammo worth over there? I priced a box of fed premium today and it was $76.
    Tack