Thread: Stock question

Sidewinder99

Stock question

My 99R has a factory hand checkered but stock with a non checkered forearm. Is this common or did someone change forearms? The but stock and receiver both have the same numbers stamped into them. So I assume they are a match. The forearm does not have matching numbers. As far as ware and tare, fit and color. Both the two stocks seam to be an exact match. Also rifle has what appear to be factory sling swivel studs. The closest to dating the rifle is around 1954. SN 711XXX. And looking at the lever boss code with a 25x loop only revels a very lightly stamped 19 inside half an oval. Was told the sellers dad purchased it new in the fifty's. BTW how hard is it to come by the factory sling swivels? Anyone have a good picture of what I should be looking for?

Sidewinder99

A 1954 99R would not have come with sling studs, it would have come with sling eyes if it was original.

Also the forearm is most likely an add on if it's not checkered or numbered to the rifle.
    Savage- "never say never".

Sidewinder99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    A 1954 99R would not have come with sling studs, it would have come with sling eyes if it was original.

Also the forearm is most likely an add on if it's not checkered or numbered to the rifle.
    Thanks for the reply, yes your right it has sling eye's. I just had my lingo wrong. I was thinking the same thing about the forarm. It's hard to tell what this rifle has been through in the last 60 years. Mechanically it's a solid firearm with only one spot of rust pitting under the lever. However the blueing is about 45% allover.

Kinda hard to make out but if you can see the hooks on the model 1920 and the 99T they're the ones you need for the sling eyes.

My 99RS never came with eyes, good way to tell an RS from an R, you can see the Savage sling studs in the RS on the far end and the sling eyes on the 99R at the front.

Savage- "never say never".