Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyds Centerfire Tacticool Stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boyds Centerfire Tacticool Stock

anyone seen these? havent seen anyone post about them yet. they dont look like a bad deal for $109
    they must have just put these on their website, i know they used to just sell them for the rimfires....
    dont know how "cool" theyd be but i bet theyd be a decent stock to get someone by.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...19051&cat=1215

they have them listed for staggered, centerfeed, short and long action

Basic Member
    I was wondering if they were ever going to add these. I hope they are made out of a different type of laminate than the 22 rimfire versions. The rimfire ones have a very soft wood. The one on my 10-22 flexes really bad. The one on my Savage rimfire not as bad, but it does.

thomae
    I just now got off the phone with a customer service rep from Boyds: They are packing up to go to the Shot Show, so nothing much will happen until after they get back from Las Vegas.
    Right now they are not making the Tacticool in the long action with a bull barrel channel, only the factory barrel channel.
    Short action stocks, however, can be had with the bull barrel channel.
    The Tacticool stocks also do not have the reinforcing pins that most of the other Boyds' Laminate stocks have.
    I mentioned Savage Shooters forum and the customer service rep got excited and said that they really like us there.

3GUNguy
    Yes, I agree about the type of wood they use for the Tacticool stock. I have one for my Remington 597 and is sufficient for my .22lr needs. From what I can tell from their website, the Tacticool stocks are made from hardwood and not are not a laminate. If they used a laminate, I would add some pillars, bed the action and call it a day. For $100 it is not a bad deal, but for a .308 caliber I would prefer at least a laminate for the added strength and support, especially when using a bipod or bags.

Basic Member
    I looked at this stock at the shot show and talked to a guy working their booth; he told me that it is a laminate stock. I didn't spend a long time looking at it, but it looked like it was a nice stock for the money. For me though I'de rather spend the extra money and get a HS or Bell and Carlson with a full aluminum bedding block. If you are someone who wants a good tactical rifle and dont care if it will shoot one hole and dont want to spend $1000 building a rifle, this stock will fit your needs perfectly.

seanhagerty
    The barrel channel can be opened up with a barrel channel tool from gunline tools in about an hour.

http://www.gunline.com/inletting.html

Speedrat1
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    The barrel channel can be opened up with a barrel channel tool from gunline tools in about an hour.

http://www.gunline.com/inletting.html
    Anyone know what happened to Gunline tools? The website at the above link is empty and I also went to Midway, used to have their products, comes up empty now!

Boyds Centerfire Tacticool Stock

I always opened up barrel channels with deep sockets wrapped in sandpaper.
    But having the correct tool would be great! Lol

Speedrat1
    Quote Originally Posted by joe h View Post
    I always opened up barrel channels with deep sockets wrapped in sandpaper.
    But having the correct tool would be great! Lol
    Hey Joe.. instead of using just a socket try using an impact socket with a locking pin type extension

PDADDY4

Re: Boyds Centerfire Tacticool Stock

I have one coming on the big brown truck as we speak. Using it for a s/a 308 build..... I will post some pics and details when it gets here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by PDADDY4; 01-22-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Aircraftmech76
    Quote Originally Posted by PDADDY4 View Post
    I have one coming on the big brown truck as we speak. Using it for a s/a 308 build..... I will post some pics and details when it gets here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I do as well. It will be here on Wednesday :-)

Kevin

Basic Member
    Looking forward to an update. I'm in the middle of a build and I have an XLR Chassis on order (week 2 of 8). I thought I was going to have to wait another 10 or so weeks for a CBI barrel, but Jim said he'd have some in this week in the caliber I ordered (26" Varmint profile 260 Match).

I'm thinking about ordering this so I can get the action in a stock so I can start load development. I also want to get some time behind the scope for this build (Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MIL/MIL FFP). I can always keep the stock around for another build in the future. This is not my first Savage build and in all likelihood, will not be my last so I'll get use out of the stock at some point.

Aircraftmech76
    Your harmonics are gonna change with the XLR stock, and will necessitate new load development. I'll post pics tomorrow when and if I get my stock.

Kevin

Basic Member
    Why would harmonics change on a free floated a barrel?

Aircraftmech76
    It has to do with the fact that in the Boyds you're setting the action in wood, and the XLR is aluminum. Different harmonics. I'll barrel up an action tomorrow and take a pic for you guys.

Kevin

only1asterisk
    Has anyone fit their stocks yet? Need some feedback before I commit to one.

dasphule
    I bought one for my 11 Hog Hunter in .223. The magazine fits REALLY tight in the stock, and I seated it too deep at first. Because of this the cartridges wouldn't feed correctly, so I had to pull it up just a tad and everything fed perfectly afterwards. The other problem I had with it was that the trigger guard was thicker on one end and wouldn't fit flush to the bottom of the stock. It was also just a tiny bit too tight on the sides. I used a thin chisel to dig out a little material in the front end of the inletting to deepen it, and then widened the sides and the trigger guard fell right in. The whole operation took less than 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure the tang should free-float. If so, I'll have to remove some material at that point as mine is sitting flush against the stock.

I really like the stock, though. The textured paint is just the right texture and seems to be thick enough that it won't easily scratch off. You can certainly smell that it's made of wood, the aroma of wood and paint is unmistakable but hopefully that'll burn off after a while. The recoil pad on the butt end is hard rubber and is glued on. It rubbed my shoulder raw today so I'll be cutting it off and moving the softer one from the original Savage stock over to the new stock. If the stock has a weak point, the pad is it. Seems they just phoned in the pad, it's utter crap IMO. It IS glued on very well though, so there's that.

The stock easily doubled the weight of my Hog Hunter, but it balances much better due to this. The shape is comfortable and felt great while shooting (other than the recoil pad). I attached a bipod to the sling button and it held even after super tightening the screw. The stock is plenty stiff and strong enough to ride a bipod, and my groups improved drastically over the crappy factory stock even without bedding it. It's not as nice as my Choate Tactical stock of roughly the same shape that I have on my 308, but other than the similar shapes you can't really compare them. All my range buddies liked it and everyone that shot it was surprised that it was wood.

If you're on a budget and want a tacticool style stock, get one of these. It isn't perfect, but it's worth the asking price. I'm getting one for each of my 93's I like it so much. Great product IMO.

Erin
    <*>

thomae
    Are you sure the pad is glued on? I'd hate for you to be cutting it off and your saw runs into a couple of screws.
    You might want to call Boyds and check on that. Sometimes the screwholes through the rubber "close up" and are hard to see.
    If it is glued on, applying heat to the glue joint judiciously may soften the glue and make things easier.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your first impressions.

I would love to see a picture of the Hog Hunter in a Tacticool stock...

Basic Member
    me to i'm stuck this stock or a richards micro fit tactical .i dont mind doing some wood work to get the right fit

dasphule
    I'll shoot a pic of her tomorrow in the sunlight and post it for y'all. It's fast becoming my favorite rifle of the 4 Savages I own!

As for the buttpad, it does have some VERY small holes where screws should go. When I get around to trying to remove it I'll check and make sure there aren't any in there. It is glued on, though, and very well glued indeed.

Erin
    <*>

thomae
    Those small screw holes are probably just that. At the bottom of each hole will be the head of the screw holding the pad onto the stock.
    (What follows is not a joke, and is not me getting into the gutter - I just don't know any better way of saying it.)
    Put some lubrication on your screwdriver shaft when you try to unscrew it. Othewise the pad material will grab the shaft and make it difficult to insert or turn.

I can't remember if they use Phillips or slotted screws, I think Phillips. If one doesn't work try the other.

dasphule

It's my Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .223 wearing the Boyd's Tacticool stock, a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18X40 with sunshade, A2 flash hider and a Blackhawk bipod.

Erin
    <*>
    Last edited by dasphule; 02-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.

only1asterisk
    Quote Originally Posted by dasphule View Post

It's my Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .223 wearing the Boyd's Tacticool stock, a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18X40 with sunshade, A2 flash hider and a Blackhawk bipod.

Erin
    <*>
    Which barrel channel did you order? How does it fit?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dasphule View Post

Erin
    <*>
    Did you do anything to the forend? It looks more beavertailed than the rounded rimfire forends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast