Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The purpose of a recoil lug

Edwards

The purpose of a recoil lug

Have a .308 110 that is an intermediate (4.5') reciever. As we all know, very few stocks are made for this action without big $$$ being spent. I purchased a boyd's tacticool knowing an action screw and recoil lug recess would have to be created to accept my action.

My question....what purpose does the recoil lug play? Just something besides 2 action screw contacts with the stock? If I machine out a larger area and "free float the recoil lug", what does problems will this create, if any?

thanks

Team Savage
    The Recoil lug is supposed to transfer 100% of the recoil to the stock.
    No recoil should be transferred to the stock via the screws.

Freefloat the recoil lug area then bed the stock Properly including the recoil lug.
    Make sure the action screws are centered when you bed it.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    The Recoil lug is supposed to transfer 100% of the recoil to the stock.
    No recoil should be transferred to the stock via the screws.

Freefloat the recoil lug area then bed the stock Properly including the recoil lug.
    Make sure the action screws are centered when you bed it.
    What he said goes double for me.
    And, if you're not sure what the recoil lug does, take it out & fire the rifle. The first barrel change / stock modification I did a few years ago taught me a lot about recoil lugs....
    I'll stop there. The rest of the story is too embarrassing.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Edwards
    that was my second alternative. Mass material removal and lots of bedding compund.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    What he said goes double for me.
    And, if you're not sure what the recoil lug does, take it out & fire the rifle. The first barrel change / stock modification I did a few years ago taught me a lot about recoil lugs....
    I'll stop there. The rest of the story is too embarrassing.
    I assume you left the recoil lug out or something like that.

Inquiring Minds want to know. What Happened ??
    I am curious.
    You can send me a PM if you want to spill the beans in private.

pitsnipe

I am curious.
    Me 2
    Me 2

I am curious.
    Come on Frank spill em in public!! wouldn't be the first time

Ya Frank we want to laugh with you not at you, all except for maybe a few members. LOL

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

davemuzz
    Franky.......Sup Dude??.....You got pics 'n stuff? :) You can post....your amongst friends!! :)

Come on man, Learning from each others mistakes as well as our successes is a big part of what makes this place great. You saw the original post and see that someone was headed for trouble, Often graphic examples of what not to do can keep us safe and our equipment working as it should.
    Spill it.

PS Remove the front scope base before swapping barrels and dont remove it by force if you like your barrel threads.
    There very embarrassing but it doesn't hurt much.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 05-30-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Alright...
    If I must make a fool of myself in public forum for everyone's amusement, so be it. I mean, what the heck...

My first Savage was a plain 'ol Stevens 200 in 30.06. I didn't like the flexing stock & wanted a .270. Don't know why. Just wanted one. I found a good used barrel & proceeded to do my thing. This is where I came up with the brainstorm of rods in the stock fore end.

After the barrel change (and briefly thinking geeez this barrel seems to screw in differently) and rod / epoxy work, I wander out to the testing section of the swamp. First shot snapped both action screws as the receiver shifted back from the recoil. It took many hours to remove the screw pieces & the screw holes in the stock got a little oblong.
    Also, I needed to change my BVD's...

I'd rather not discuss the black eye I got from the scope if you don't mind.

So there. Now you know.
    Yes, I was STOOPID for not looking on the bench & wondering why I had an extra recoil lug sitting there looking back at me.

Basic Member
    By the way...
    The action doesn't just come straight back. It actually goes UP & back.....

And yes, my ol lady laughed too...
    Miserable redneck ....

Westcliffe01
    Yep, a 270 is no 223 or 22lr....

rattfink
    So there. Now you know.
    Yes, I was STOOPID for not looking on the bench & wondering why I had an extra recoil lug sitting there looking back at me.
    Imagine how many poor fools have been saved from this or worse by this forum...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    Imagine how many poor fools have been saved from this or worse by this forum...
    I almost wish I was one of them....
    I've always been one of the "take it apart, lay it out & clean before reassembly" guys. Even when I was a young fella & built engines.

Maybe someday I'll tell you about the 1970 Dodge 360 engine I rebuilt, filled with oil, started & while it was idling I noticed the oil pump on the bench....

Ahhh.... We all have those "off" days once in a while.

stangfish
    I think you might have ended up with.......SCOPE EYE

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I think you might have ended up with.......SCOPE EYE
    FYI that is trademarked.LOL
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Team Savage
    Alright...
    If I must make a fool of myself in public forum for everyone's amusement, so be it. I mean, what the heck...

My first Savage was a plain 'ol Stevens 200 in 30.06. I didn't like the flexing stock & wanted a .270. Don't know why. Just wanted one. I found a good used barrel & proceeded to do my thing. This is where I came up with the brainstorm of rods in the stock fore end.

After the barrel change (and briefly thinking geeez this barrel seems to screw in differently) and rod / epoxy work, I wander out to the testing section of the swamp. First shot snapped both action screws as the receiver shifted back from the recoil. It took many hours to remove the screw pieces & the screw holes in the stock got a little oblong.
    Also, I needed to change my BVD's...

I'd rather not discuss the black eye I got from the scope if you don't mind.

So there. Now you know.
    I would not say its stupid, would just say its one of those things that happens occasionally and we all make mistakes, just hopefully not with a gun.

Well at least you are okay and at least it was not a 458 winmag.

Have seen all sorts of blunder photos of guns, something in the barrel, pistol powder in a rifle etc. Saw where one guy nearly blew his thumb off with a S+W 460 magnum pistol just because his thumb was in the wrong place IE hanging out there a little too far.

Read about a gunsmith that set up a heavy hitter for Africa and did not check the headspace, gave it to his partner and that guy I think blew off a few fingers or a hand and lost an eye or something like that.

Heck I bet there was even a few gunsmiths that have done what you did.

It happens.

Basic Member
    Well since we're yack'n 'bout recoil lugs and fess'n up to dumb stuff ..... I'm guess'n some of you have seen the "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outer". For those who haven't .....

When installing pillars I attach them to the action and glue them in and bed the action both in one shot. One was ready to come apart, but it was stuck, wouldn't budge. I tried rocking it, giving the barrel a few good upward whacks with a rubber mallet.... no luck.

Enter the Action Ripper outer!!!! It worked it's magic once again. Not only did it remove the action, but the pillar attached to it also. Some knucklehead only removed one screw, the rear screw.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Ya know, prior to getting into long range shooting I liked shotguns & wanted to learn clays, etc. After getting my first actual centerfire rifle, it was love at first shot.
    And yes, you're right. I'm glad I wasn't playing around with a 416 Rigby or some other shoulder cannon....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Well since we're yack'n 'bout recoil lugs and fess'n up to dumb stuff ..... I'm guess'n some of you have seen the "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outer". For those who haven't .....

When installing pillars I attach them to the action and glue them in and bed the action both in one shot. One was ready to come apart, but it was stuck, wouldn't budge. I tried rocking it, giving the barrel a few good upward whacks with a rubber mallet.... no luck.

Enter the Action Ripper outer!!!! It worked it's magic once again. Not only did it remove the action, but the pillar attached to it also. Some knucklehead only removed one screw, the rear screw.
    I don't feel so bad now...
    And don't you just hate it when that happens?....

Basic Member
    Hey!....
    Maybe the name of this thread needs to be changed to "Confessions"?

stangfish
    LOL, Father forgive me for I have sinned..............

davemuzz
    Well guys......those are some stories. Frank.....I'm glad you just got scope eye....and man.....next time just reverse your undies. After all....that's what I do!! I'll post a few of mine when I have some time.....I'll keep you in suspense!!!

Dave

palerider338
    I can see I'm in very vaunted company here......I only epoxied the front action screw in the first time out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast