Thread: Barrel is not concentric....will it effect the accuracy potential?

Basic Member

UPDATED....Barrel is not concentric....will it effect the accuracy potential?

I just received my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from the E.R. Shaw group buy put on by Gunshack. It is magnum contour and came in 24 inches. I had already decided it was going on a short barreled deer rifle, so before shooting it I took it straight to my smith to have it chopped off to 20" and recrowned. I picked it up today, and he showed me that the bore is not concentric or exactly centered in the barrel. When you look at the end of the barrel where he crowned it, the hole is obvioulsy a little bit off the center of the barrel. Anyone seen this before, and do you guys think it will make the barrel not shoot well. The gunsmith told me that it will not at all effect the accuracy, but it just seems like it would to me?
    Last edited by teebirdhyzer; 01-20-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Basic Member
    well there would be a good way to find out wouldnt there?
    id be more concerned about how it lines up on the action end.
    but just shoot it, and if it shoots well be happy.

Basic Member
    thanks yobuck, that's the plan. No other way really to know for sure....just wondering if any of these old pros have had first hand experience with such.

82boy
    Honestly ALL barrels will have some varience, or "Bow" in them. A good benchrest gunsmith will locate this bow, and clock the barrel so that this bow is in a certain position. If done properly it can yield mind blowing accuracy. Cosmetics of a barrel has nothing to do with how they preform, I have seen barrel that looked horrible, and by looks you swear they will never shoot, but they usualy end up being one of the best barrels you will ever have, and I have seen barrels that looks great, and you would think that it would be a lights out shoot, and they end up being a bummer. Trust your gunsmith.

Honestly ALL barrels will have some variance, or "Bow" in them.
    Gunsmith friend of mine told me the same thing. Even expensive ones! Last summer a he bought a Krieger barrel blank. When he put it on the lathe to thread it there was a very noticeable wobble. It was so bad he sent that one back.

nuclabuyer
    As long as he set his lathe up to be concentric to the bore and not to the outside of the barrel, and that the chamber is cut to the bore not the OD there shouldn't be any real problem.

What you guys don't realize is that most every barrel out there has a bow in the bore to some extent. This is because they're all drilled with extremely long, thin drill bits and the molecular structure of the barrel will affect the bit's path. The smaller the bore diameter the more apt you are to have a bit drift. In fact, I've spoken to a couple different barrel makers who have told me that only about 1 in 4 .17 caliber barrels make it out of the shop due to the bore being bowed or off-center at one end due to bit drift.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    So I screwed the E.R. Shaw 6.5 Creedmoor barrel onto the action, and mounted it up in the stock. I took some 120 factory AMAX loads, and loaded up a few rounds with 140 AMAX, 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, and 120 grain TTSX. After 3 rounds to get the scope zeroed, the first 3 round group I shot was with the 120 grain factory AMAX and it measured .53" CTC. The second group was with 140 grain AMAX and was .51 CTC. Both groups I shot with the 120 BT's were under an inch CTC. It did not like the two TTSX loads I tried, but all of these rounds I loaded up were basically just some random loads to break in the barell and get an idea if it would shoot these bullets or not. This barrel looks to have great potential, especially with the 140 AMAX... I will be working on a load with it soon. The greatest thing about this barrel so far, is that it shot all 4 different bullets with all loads within about an inch of POI at 100yds. I've always wanted a barrel that would shoot everything in the same place and it looks like this one is it. So, the fact that the bore is off center on the end of the barrel does not seem to hurt this one!
    Last edited by teebirdhyzer; 01-20-2013 at 01:55 PM.