Thread: Thought I would share....my Modified/custom 114 Classic in .260 gets it done....twice

Basic Member

Thought I would share....my Modified/custom 114 Classic in .260 gets it done....twice

Two years ago I built a "Classic" styled .270 with a nice walnut stock and 24 inch magnum contour stainless barrel. It drives tacks, and I love it, but it seems like everytime I take it in the woods, I bump and bang any and everything near me with the dang barrel. It sticks up above my head when slung on my back, and just gets in the way. This year I decided to try a different approach....I wanted a shorter faster handling rifle in a short action with a short barrel. I had originally planned to use a 6.5 Creedmoor from the ER shaw group buy I got in on back this summer, but I didn't come in in time. I'm a sucker for the "classic" look and a walnut stock , so I purchased a 14 classic used on here in .308, and swapped out the barrel for a factory Savage .260 barrel I had cut to 20" and recrowned. I worked up a nice load with the 120grain TTSX and some H4350. I've been lucky enough to take two nice bucks with this combo, and both of them fell DRT! The .260 and the TTSX are some bad medicine on whitetail. On of the bucks weighted 230lbs and was at about 180yds, the other weighed 185 and was right at 60yds. Both dropped right there. I really like this little short, handi rifle. Has been with me now on a dozen or so hunts, and I havent bumped anything with it yet! May never take the .270 back out of the safe!

Here's the first one at 180yds....17.5" spread and 230lbs.

here's the 2nd one at 60yds....18" spread and 185lbs.

Basic Member
    Yup. It gives you what you need, and no frills or complications.

Basic Member
    I am curious. With the TSX's normal 2100fps min opening velocity, and your 20" barrel, what type of effective range does that give you? I like the setup by the way. It obviously worked for those deer!

Basic Member
    Very nice bucks. I like the classic look a lot too.

Basic Member
    thanks guys. Handirifle, I do not know that answer. About the farthest shot I would ever take is 350yds or so, and I'm sure I will be fine to that point. I don't really hunt any spots that have shots farther than that. As a matter of fact, I've never shot at a deer beyond 200yds.

JCalhoun
    Nice.

Good stuff. It seems as though the circle is coming around again as far as the shorter barreled rifles and their practicality.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.