Thread: 22-250 ammo

jwshooter

22-250 ammo

whats best ammo for accuracy. its a axis with reinforced stock bipod and bsa 6x24x40 cats eye scope. i know i know a bsa but i am really shocked by this scope nice and clear at all power ranges just as clear and my nikon monarch for the most part

try the hornady superformance 50g v-max. shoots well out of my predator

Banned
    reloads

Whatever ammo your gun prefers. Seriously, this is about the silliest question you can ask about any gun as they're each going to have their own preference. They're kinda like women in that way - finicky and fussy until you give them exactly what they want.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

jwshooter
    i was just seeing kinda where to stat cause i have no way of reloading and was just wondering what some sugguestions where

Banned
    whats the barrel twist?

What are you mainly going to use the gun for? What distances do you expect to most commonly be shooting at?
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

jwshooter
    its a 1/12 twist is what ive been told and sence it is just a axis 300 yards is about the most ill shoot for now

Banned
    50-60 gr. bullets should work well for you.

1ShotKing
    I have to agree with Mr.Furious in that it is impossible to give a definitive answer to your question. I used several different loads, Hornady 50 grain superformance v-max and 55 grain v-max standard loads. Both are good to go in my rifle. Also I have used winchester 55 grain ballistic silvertips, which are not quite as good in my rifle. PPU 50 grain soft points are accurate. Also the 45 grain Winchester USA value pack have proved surprisingly accurate in my rifle as well. At the end of the day you need to try several types but if you're looking for accuracy the Hornady loads are a good place to start IMO.

1ShotKing

Basic Member
    Ya but at the same time, If the ? was for 308 win. Everyone would tell you to try Federal Gold medal Match 168gr. There is always a type of ammo in factory that seems to shoot better in most guns. So, I don't think it is a silly question at all.

I have seen it posted on numerous boards that the Win 45gr in the 50 round boxes seems to shoot quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    I have to agree with Mr.Furious in that it is impossible to give a definitive answer to your question. I used several different loads, Hornady 50 grain superformance v-max and 55 grain v-max standard loads. Both are good to go in my rifle. Also I have used winchester 55 grain ballistic silvertips, which are not quite as good in my rifle. PPU 50 grain soft points are accurate. Also the 45 grain Winchester USA value pack have proved surprisingly accurate in my rifle as well. At the end of the day you need to try several types but if you're looking for accuracy the Hornady loads are a good place to start IMO.

1ShotKing
    I agree with Jim and 1shot, what take from the responses is that x brand of ammo is quality meaning it has consistent loads, but x brand might or might not do well in my barrel.

So the question boils down to what is the true determinant of accuracy when the only variable is Ammo.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Banned
    man this must be a hornady site. they oughta change the name to hornady shooters

JCalhoun

Basic Member
    If you are not going to reload, I'd go for Black hills ammo. usually pretty accurate in most guns.

Banned

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger3 View Post
    If you are not going to reload, I'd go for Black hills ammo. usually pretty accurate in most guns.
    oh no nothing shoots as good as hornady.

leadpoison
    If you reload ,try Barnes V.G. 36 grn. HP. with 27.4 Varget O.A.L. 2.344 win W.L.R win case super fast hard hitting long rage 400 yards thats for a 22.250 load in my rifle

18. 01-20-2013, 12:56 AM
    Reason
    Keep pushing it buddy!

Basic Member
    generally you want to stay on the heavy side for your twist. for my 1:14 its 55 grain, for a 1:12 i would stay with 55 for varmint ammo or 60 gr partitions for deer.

as for brand well you really have to get some of each. its nice if you could get together with one or two other people with new guns and split boxes up so you have 10 of each brand.

remington core lokts always shot decent for mine
    winchesters shoot quite well. took out a chuck at 350 yrds with factory ammo no practice at that range.

but this is my gun. you have to do some shooting and find what yours likes.

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    I apologize for saying negative things against hornady ammo.i was warned this wont be tolerated by the staff and i will get banned if i keep it up
    This is quite comical as it clearly shows that 1) some people have no problem flat-out lying to try and get the sympathy of others, and 2) some people simply refuse to accept the fact that it's their own actions that have gotten them into trouble.

You were issued the warning infraction and your first infraction for the above two posts you made in this thread. They were full of attitude, they were condescending, they were disrespectful to all those involved in this thread, and most importantly they had absolutely nothing to do with the subject being discussed and contributed nothing meaningful to the discussion. As such they were both in direct violation of our rule regarding treating other members with dignity and respect. Nobody in this thread said or did anything to justify such attitude or rude remarks from you or anybody else.

Clearly you have some beef with Hornady - fine, but that's your problem and when you start coming on here acting like a jerk we're going to call you on it and you will be reprimanded accordingly. I suggest you open your eyes and realize that you are your own problem rather than trying to blame me or others for your behavior as next time you feel like shooting off at the mouth you'll be getting a much longer vacation.

acemisser
    my son tried all the factory stuff in his savage FV whatever....And he found the most accurate
    to be the Black Hills..Hornady is ok but noway the best..