Thread: New rifle but dirty?

Emailabode

New rifle but dirty?

Hello Pat here

i noticed that my new rifle has some red paint on the inside of the bolt face. is this normal? obviously i am going to clean it off before i shoot it but im rather curious as to how it got there and what purpose it serves. The pictures do not do it justice it is almost a solid stripe of paint around the inside rim and several spots in the middle of the bolt face.

idears ?

Pat

I dont think it is red paint as it looks like crack check used in production by alot of companys looking for any problems after heat treat.Just sayin.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Questions:

1. What caliber is your "new" rifle, and is the rifle brand new or second hand and new to you?

2. Were you shooting military ammunition with red sealant around the primers?

3. Did you clean and lube the rifle before you shot it? It looks a little "dry" and the bolt-head retaining pin looks rusty.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 01-09-2013 at 07:38 PM.

jibben
    test fire.

Basic Member

Re: New rifle but dirty?

Just bought my rifle last month and mine was clean as a whistle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Emailabode
    rifle was brand new and it was 6.5 creedmoor and i cleaned it up and everything came clean, barrel was also dirty but it cleaned up fine as well

The red paint is from the proof-test loads. The case heads on them are coated in red so it's easy to visually differentiate the proof-test loads from standard loads as the rifles are proof tested and function tested (with standard loads) in the same area.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

acemisser
    could be from color coated primers...Looks to me like a possible bolt change..People do this you
    know..If you ordered it in I would tell them you want a different rifle..

jibben
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    could be from color coated primers...Looks to me like a possible bolt change..People do this you
    what? where? why?
    what leads you to think the bolt was changed? Where do you find primers big enough to leave a ring way out on the rim. Why would some paint lead you to wanting a new rifle?
    Just asking what your seeing that I am not.

Why is this being discussed after Mr F told us what the answer was?
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Emailabode
    i wondered the same thing

thanks all for the info

patrick
    Last edited by Emailabode; 01-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emailabode View Post
    rifle was brand new and it was 6.5 creedmoor and i cleaned it up and everything came clean, barrel was also dirty but it cleaned up fine as well
    If you had cleaned your new rifle completely when you got it, "including" the bolt face you would never have asked your question in the first place.

Last edited by bigedp51; 01-11-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Emailabode
    yea i cleaned it after i asked so...

acemisser
    Pretty old for a new rifle to have a bolt that cruddy..I say it looks like someone swaped bolts somewhere
    along the line.Sealed primers WILL not do that.My M1 rifle never looked like that and I shot hundreds
    of sealed primers in it..Do what you want but I would want to know what was going on.But if you cleaned it
    and never showed anyone ,well.probably to late now..

Brokebonez
    Yea I got a new rifle from savage arms like that too with red and yellow crap everywhere... I was pissed, for $500 it better be clean.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    The red paint is from the proof-test loads. The case heads on them are coated in red so it's easy to visually differentiate the proof-test loads from standard loads as the rifles are proof tested and function tested (with standard loads) in the same area.
    Pretty old for a new rifle to have a bolt that cruddy..I say it looks like someone swaped bolts somewhere
    along the line.Sealed primers WILL not do that.My M1 rifle never looked like that and I shot hundreds
    of sealed primers in it..Do what you want but I would want to know what was going on.But if you cleaned it
    and never showed anyone ,well.probably to late now..
    You've missed the real answer....twice!
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

stangfish
    GG, He is on a roll brother, Let him go.

snowshoes
    I don't think they clean them after the test loads. The test loads must be really hot. I have had primers fall out of the magazines of two new in box rifles when i got them home and cleaned them the first time. The bolt faces are almost always dirty.

Mr. F is correct and no, snowshoes, they do not clean after testing.

We had to ship a S&W 460 XVR to another store because a customer would not believe they were new because of test firing. They had to clean this one before showing it to him, He thought they werre trying to sell him a used firearm as a new one. Ace, where do you live?
    More shooting, less typing.