Thread: 111E stuck barrel nut

markusej

111E stuck barrel nut

I just bought an older 111E in 30-06 and am having trouble getting the barrel nut off. I bought the wheeler barrel vise and some rosin for the wood blocks. I sprayed some liquid wrench on the nut and tightened the blocks as much as I could. The barrel is slipping in the blocks? I also tried some heat on the nut. I am assuming the nut turns left to come off? Any ideas on what to try?

Opus Dei
    Since you've tried rosin, I'm not sure what'd help besides a receiver wrench. Yes, the nut is left to loosen.

I use Kroil. I apply it and let it sit overnight. It makes a world of difference.

Basic Member
    I use a real hammer. And i'm not shy about hitting it.

stangfish
    I use a piece of leather I cut from some work gloves to go between the block and the barrel. Yes standard right hand threads. The story goes they have an 800 lb go rilla tightening the barrel nuts. An action wrench would help. I use a large dead blow to get some "pop" when I strike the nut wrench. I am particular about my tools. Keep the nut close in to the vice..like 2 inches or there abouts. Do not put something in the ejection port to try and turn the action.

Basic Member
    I had alot of trouble with my first barrel removal, and now with the proper tools it is a snap. For me the action wrench and barrel nut wrench combo is much easier than using a barrel vice. A dead blow hammer is one of the absolute necessary tools as well! Soak it in Kroil or PB blaster for a night and if you still can't move it, just cut it off with a dremel tool. The nuts aren't too expensive, and if it is really that stuck, you could potentially warp your action trying to bang it off of there.

jibben
    HAMMER! And no love taps, hit it!

You have to have a reciever wrench and a berzomatic propane torch to warm the nut.Dont get it glowing,but hot and then hold the reciever wrench from moving and take a deadblow hammer and whack the barrel nut wrench,it will break free easy this way without bending the reciever.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Meke sure the front scope mount is off the receiver. The front screw can help hold the barrel on tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Make sure the front scope mount is off the receiver. The front screw can help hold the barrel on tighter.
    A LOT tighter. Been there done that!

Basic Member
    +1 on using a hammer. If your only holding the barrel in a vise especially. It's like using a impact to take a wheel off a truck while it's suspended in the air. With a impact it's easy to remove the lug nuts with a lug wrench the tire will spin making it difficult.

markusej

111E stuck barrel nut

Well it finally came off. I had to cut through the nut with a dremel and crack the nut with a chisel. As soon a it broke it unscrewed easily by hand. The threads were wet from the liquid wrench but it was still stuck very tightly. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Team Savage
    It's too late for my suggestion, but, next time use duct tape around the barrel inside the wooden blocks. It will give the blocks a better bite AND protect the barrel finish. Be very careful you do not bend the receiver rails.

Bill