Thread: Stock Mod Ideas to kick around?

Basic Member

Stock Mod Ideas to kick around?

For some reason I had visions of hacking up my factory stock and putting this tacticool "BLACKHAWK! SpecOps Gen II Recoil-Reducing Shotgun Stock" on my Axis. Any thoughts on the folly or friendliness of giving this a whack? I think if done right it could be really slick. On the other hand if not done right it could fall apart or even inflict injury or death!

It seems to lack a proper cheek rest but that would be a simple fix. Anyone have thoughts on something like this or a better way to achieve the result?

Well, most everyone I've talked to who's ever tried one of those stocks hates them, so that would be the first strike against it in my book. Second, it simply wouldn't be safe as you'd be attaching it to what's left of the factory synthetic stock and the joint likely wouldn't stand up to the recoil. This is exactly why such stocks on all shotguns, semi-auto's, etc attach directly to the metal receiver - you need a solid, non-flexible mounting point that can stand up to the recoil energy. And last but not least - and this is just my personal opinion - it would look like [insert expletive of choice here].
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Yeah I had thoughts of aluminum or even a rolled steel bedding block with a stump out back to attach to and fork on the front using the forearm/mag/trigger/grip/saftey of the original as a skin like some of the 750+ range chassis rigs do. Not sure I'll run with this but it could be a great way to kill time beats shoveling snow.

I just can't see spending the money for a drop in chassis which would take a more expensive action to start with then have to spend another couple hundred on proprietary addons to get it pimped out. Would probably be a lot cheaper to use AR stuff but most of that is even less impressive then the shotgun ones.

Probably be March/April before I try to do a stock no matter what it will look like anyway. Hopefully in the mean time someone with a like mind will chime in. Overall weight will be key of course. I'm no machinist so it would all have to done with a drill press, grinders and files for the most part.

I had just about talked myself out of it but since reading your post Jim I feel challenged to give it a go.

Whatever trips your trigger man!
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

MrFurious has the inside line on some industry after-market stocks for the Axis which are coming out (presumably soon)--I'd wait an see what happens there. If the Hogue folks come out with something comparable to the overmolded for the Axis--which is fast becoming a production option on some of the better rifles--that will be a killer option at a great price-point.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Hogue stock - it took them nearly 7 years after announcing a 110 Savage stock to actually bring one to market.

Basic Member
    I'd like to look at an Archangel M1a stock and see if there would be any point to carving up one of those. Found a used one about a week ago wish I'd have grabbed it up. But ya know groceries an things like that keep getting in the way of those impulse purchases. Didn't seem exactly like what I wanted. The Hogue would be slick I think I saw somewhere a guy claimed to have bedded an Axis in one but no pix so it didn't happen heh? Still waiting on my mags to come grr!

At work we've been out of .223 ammo for at least a week just a couple boxes of .308 last time I checked. Getting kinda sickening means a trip out of town just a get a couple boxes of shells.

Werewolf
    I have a different model of blackhawk stock on my rem 870 that I like, but it is more like a conventional stock that the collapsible one shown. Those stocks are manufactured with enough drop to line up your eye with the bead on a shotgun, so they have too much drop for a rifle. The excess drop will cause problems with cheek weld, eye placement with a scope, and it magnifies felt recoil, so you would have to machine any adapter to raise the stock so it is inline with the reciever. Blackhawk was making a recoil reducing stock for rem 700s called the axiom, it would probably be easier to convert something like that. As for looks, each to their own.

Basic Member
    I have to agree with your facts there Werewolf. If I was to draw up a plan it would look like Vigilance Rifles WINDRUNNER MODEL 12 just not at the $2975 price tag. Still want to give it a go but have a couple rifles to setup for my kids first.