Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Disassembly

Re: Bolt Disassembly

Quote Originally Posted by bmt
    ANyway, the bolt lokks fine, but does not cock. It cocks on opening, then "uncocks" on closing.
    Any tips where the bolt re-assembly failed?
    BMT
    I know what happened, take the BAS off and turn the bolt handel 180 degrees, They have it on the wrong way.
    Patrick
    "To win in bench rest, you dont have to shoot small groups, you just can't shoot any big ones." ;)

bmt

Thank you

TnTom

would there be any advantage or disadvantage to unloading the spring before dis-assembly? Would the screw back out any easier?

Quote Originally Posted by TnTom
    would there be any advantage or disadvantage to unloading the spring before dis-assembly? Would the screw back out any easier?
    Yes, and no. The screw backs out fairly easy either way, Now when I put the bolt together you will have to decock it to get the first few threads started, then I cock them.
    Patrick
    "To win in bench rest, you dont have to shoot small groups, you just can't shoot any big ones." ;)

bmt

OK, the thing works now ;D

But, the original problem remains--The Extractor removes the spent case from the chamber but the jector does not eject the case. It just lays there on the tray. I have to tilt the rifle and dump the case off then finish cycling the bolt.

Any tips?

We dis-assembled in order to clean up the innards. We got a lot of gunk out and cleaned the spring on the ejector.

Alas, the problem remains.

Thanks in advance.

BMT

There's a simple fix, you need a bigger ball. ;D There are other people that may be able to elaborate on what size and where to get it. But I believe that this is the answer.
    Model 99DL .243 win<br />Model 114 American Classic .270win 26&quot;<br />Marlin 917vs .17 HMR<br />Stevens 220 swift<br />Stevens 300 win mag with classic stock<br />Model 116 in 260 rem<br />Model 12 vlp 243 win<br />Ruger Bisley 45 colt<br />Coming soon:<br />FNH FNP 45 acp

bmt

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    First of all, let me say that I deal with Savage on a daily basis, and I know all the people who work in customer service. Eric is a really nice guy, but he is new. He handles complaints the way he was trained. He does not work on guns, he only fills orders and tries to help customers that have problems that he is trained to solve. Evidentally the standard procedure for ejection and extraction problems are to replace parts until the problem dissappears. Like I outlined before, the problems that arise with extraction and ejection are a combination of parts with accumulating tolerances. Sometimes a different extractor will fix the problem,with a tolerance of a few thousandths, it&#39;s all it make take. The gun manufacturers cannot control the size of the ammo, and if it&#39;s not close to mean specs., so the manufactering tolerance in the bolt face diameter has to be accomodating for wide tolerance.

Now for the good news......

Since I have been receiving many calls with this problem, I began to study it closer. I have done many different things on various guns to remedy the problem, which included: making custom extractors, opening up smaller bolt faces to the correct diameter(.223 to .308) , making larger ejector pins,and I even bushed a bolt face to reduce the diameter to correct size.
    Then I tryed something yesterday that made sense, and it is very simple. First let me explain.
    The spring pocket diameter in the bolt head (under the extractor plate) measures .150". The extractor spring measures .145", but the detent ball only measures .125". When the detent ball is centered in the detent of the extractor by spring pressure, it has .025" clearance between it and the hole dia. This make for side to side slop that will not compress the detent ball and spring. When a cartridge is pressed in the boltface, the extractor,ball and spring can be deflected approx. .0125" before the detent ball compresses the spring. The result is that amount of movement will not spring back to center, essentially leaving the extractor claw not grabbing that much of the case.
    Is everyone following me on this?.....the fix is simple, use a bigger ball.
    I have some in stock, they measure .140", thus reducing the non-returning slop.
    I have tryed this on several here in the shop and had 100% success rate, although there may be a combination of factors out there on a rifle that it may not help, but it sure as h#ll won&#39;t hurt. ;D
    Thank you! :)

So I guess I need a &#39;smith? Or a parts guy. ???

Can I do this m&#39;self?

BMT

Easy to do yourself

Take the bolt out, put it in a one gallon plastic bag

Put your hands in the bag, slide the extractor out. Ball and spring may come flying out, hence the bag

Reverse procedure to install

Two or three minutes tops the first time you do it

bmt

Thanks, no bolt dis-assembly required?

BMT

I use a small flat blade screw driver. I take the blade and lay it flat against the bolt head behind the ejector, I then use the tip to push the extractor and hold pressure on the ball bearing. I then slowly take pressure off the ball bearing, and you should be done.
    Patrick

bmt

Thank you. I&#39;ll report back with results. :P :-\

The extractor has about 4,000 rounds under its belt.

Maybe I should replace it also.

Does the proprietor of this site sell such things ( tryin&#39; to keep the $$ in the family)

BMT

Quote Originally Posted by bmt
    Does the proprietor of this site sell such things ( tryin&#39; to keep the $$ in the family)
    BMT
    No, they do not, they just sell advertising. One place that does is Sharp Shooter Supply a site sponsor. They also have the larger ball bearings in stock. May save you some time of hunting down the ball bearing, and measuring them.
    Patrick

bmt

OK thank you.

I will call them tomorrow.

BMT

the bolt handle is on upside down mark25-06