Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt Disassembly

82boy

Re: Bolt Disassembly

I use a small flat blade screw driver. I take the blade and lay it flat against the bolt head behind the ejector, I then use the tip to push the extractor and hold pressure on the ball bearing. I then slowly take pressure off the ball bearing, and you should be done.

bmt

Thank you. I'll report back with results. :P :-\

The extractor has about 4,000 rounds under its belt.

Maybe I should replace it also.

Does the proprietor of this site sell such things ( tryin' to keep the $$ in the family)

BMT

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by bmt
    Does the proprietor of this site sell such things ( tryin' to keep the $$ in the family)
    BMT
    No, they do not, they just sell advertising. One place that does is Sharp Shooter Supply a site sponsor. They also have the larger ball bearings in stock. May save you some time of hunting down the ball bearing, and measuring them.

bmt

OK thank you.

I will call them tomorrow.

BMT

Basic Member

the bolt handle is on upside down mark25-06

cwop

if you are going to shoot that rifle with expensive brass i would prefer it this way. i took the extractors out of my 6br just for this reason.

bob

hifly78

I bought a tatical bolt handle but haven't been able to unscrew the allen bolt to install this yet.

I saw earlier in the post it required lots of torque to undue it. Is the thread direction the same for left and right bolts to disassemble them. For a left handed bolt would I still rotate counter clockwise to unscrew it. I figure I could make a hardwood blocks like a barrel vice inserts to hold onto it. I just don't want to be tighten it going counter clockwise.

Thanks

Direction is the same. Lefty loosey.

Don't overthink it or build anything special. Just put the allen wrench in, put it on the floor and step on it.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

hifly78

Thanks Gear Grinder.

Just used a 1/4" allen on a 3/8 drive 16" breaker bar on a carpet floor and came off really easy. New Handle installed and works great.

I didn't get into the guts of the bolt just removed and reinstalled handle but just in case I also checked the firing pin protrusion. It's real close to 0.055" No change.

Thanks

bodywerks

Put it on the floor and step on the wrench? Before I even got that far the bolt handle started slipping...
    If I were to put it in a woodcapped vise can I rely on the bolthead or should I clamp the whole bolt?

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks
    Put it on the floor and step on the wrench? Before I even got that far the bolt handle started slipping...
    If I were to put it in a woodcapped vise can I rely on the bolthead or should I clamp the whole bolt?
    When I get one that is really "Snug" I'll clamp it in a vise (padded jaws) on the bolt handle and bolt body then use a 3/8 drive ratchet or breaker bar with a 1/4 allen socket. Don't worry, you won't break the handle.

Bill

bodywerks

I'm not worried about breaking the bolt handle, as the whole reason to disassemble it is to change the bolt handle. Problem is that the bolt handle itself started slipping in relation to the bolt.
    Since the bolt head is held in place by a big shear pin I figured it would be a better thing to clamp to?
    I'm sure savage used some of their loctite on that assembly screw, too, so a little heat can't hurt either I suppose...

glock907

i had some work done on my 110 savage and the bolt was taken apart when i got it back and i tried to use it only half of my repoads fired and none on the winchesters fired. i just took the bolt apart and am comparing it to the picture on this site. it looks like there is something sticking out of the cocking piece. i dont have anything sticking out of mine. what am i missing
    steve

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by glock907
    i just took the bolt apart and am comparing it to the picture on this site. it looks like there is something sticking out of the cocking piece. i dont have anything sticking out of mine. what am i missing
    steve
    Its a mod I do, tap the cocking piece 1/4-28 and install a set screw to lock the cocking piece pin in place and keeps at it 90 degrees to the cocking piece when the sear picks it up or riding over the cocking ramp. It adds another small step in the assembly-disassembly loosening or tightening the set screw, but only takes a second, no big deal.

Bill

Andyau

Hi guys,
    I tried all the methods above to undo the bolt at the back of the bolt, all I achieved was to strip the inside of the bolt at the back. Any ideas on how I can get it off now?? Will heat help to loosen it ?

Thanks

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12