Thread: Weaver Tactical Scope

Weaver Tactical Scope

Does anyone have the 3-15x50 scope with illuminated EMDR reticle? Does the reticle get too small at 3 power due to the fact it is first focal plane? How is the quality?

I have a savage model 16 in 6.5 creedmoor. I use it mainly for deer hunting (50 - 200 yards) but want to get into coyote hunting (for population control not for pelts) and target shooting. I am looking to work my way up 600 yards. I thought this would be the optimal scope with all the features I want, but I just want to know what other's experiences are with it
    Last edited by Geo_Erudite; 01-08-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Westcliffe01
    I don't have that weaver scope but I do have a Vortex Viper FFP scope. When you zoom all the way out, then the thicker outer bars of the reticle come into view. There is no loss in the ability to use it as an aiming device. Its just that you can't physically see 2moa tick marks on the reticle because they are so small and close together. The times when you would use 3x would be when the target was at close range and at 30 yards even 6MOA is a pretty small dot on the target.

I have several weavers including 2 of the K series 6x fixed magnification and one of the 1.5-4.5x24 wide angle scopes. 3 things to watch for on the weavers are 1) short eye relief (often 3" instead of 4" with others) 2) the zoom rings tend to need a lot of force to rotate, particularly in cold weather (I think the O ring preload is too high, or they don't lube their O rings before installation and 3) I have not been impressed with their turrets. I have not handled the exact model you refer to, and you might want to have that opportunity before buying it, or buy from somewhere where you can return it if you don't like certain features. Natchess often has great discounts on Weavers.

The eye relief is more of a consideration on guns with substantial recoil (muzzle loaders, slug guns, magnums). If you are not going to get whacked in the eye, then shorter eye relief actually means a wider field of view. I had to take the K series scope off my 20ga slug gun because I couldn't get the reduced eye relief to work for me.
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 01-08-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks WestCliffe01! I really like the Vortex Vipers with the FFP, but I worry that the low range magnification (4 power) is to high for close shots (50 yards or less). However, I looked at Vortex's site under new products and in the spring of 2013 it looks like they will be adding to the Viper PST line with a 2.5-10x32 with FFP. Though I do worry if 10 power is enough for target shooting out to 600 yards.
    Last edited by Geo_Erudite; 01-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data