Thread: 50 or 52 grain bullets for accuracy

acemisser

50 or 52 grain bullets for accuracy

In 223 with 1/9 twist which bullet do you think is going to be the most
    accurate at 300 yards target shooting with 1 inch bulls eye target....

The 69 gr are hard to find now and I have several 50 52 and 55 gr
    on hand....But maybe the 69 will be available in a month or so...

Basic Member
    Where are you looking for bullets at?

Try the 55's.

Uncle Jack
    I agree. At 300 yards I would not shoot anything lighter than the 55 grainers.

uj

At 300 yards, you will want a bullet with a high bc to help buck the wind. If money is no object, I would try some berger 70 or 75 gr vld's. I got excellent results with varget and n135 with the 75's and n133 with the 70's.

If you want to go cheaper and still great accuracy, I would try the hornady 75 gr a-max. They have a bc of .435. Varget works great for me at around 23.7 grains, and I am right about touching the lands .

Basic Member
    I think I have some 69gr Noslers at home that I bought and never used.

I'll send you some.

Basic Member
    I shoot regularly out to 300 yards very accurately I might add with 55nbts they work well on coyote and fox 25grains of benchmark cci-400 primer and lc-10 brass good luck the 52smk's and 53vmaxes shoot well also
    couple of savages

acemisser
    I have checked the world over and no 69 gr sierra's never tried no others septin bergers and they don't work for me in 1/9 twist

Basic Member
    The 69smk's do very well out to 600 propelled by a number of powders they are kind of the go to bullet for alot of 1-9 twist guys be patient, I'm hoping this crazy frenzy dies out a little bit... I hope...
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    I have checked the world over and no 69 gr sierra's
    Here are some 77gr and 80gr Noslers
    http://shootersproshop.com/index.php...ath=71_101_107

$32 and $35 for 250, not too bad a deal

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    I think I have some 69gr Noslers at home that I bought and never used.

I'll send you some.
    Hey Matt, Got the bullets today and really appreciate it...Every store here is Whoville is sold out and
    what they do have left they are rapeing people,but raising their prices...I told the one guy,I will never
    shop in his store again if he is going to be like that...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    Hey Matt, Got the bullets today and really appreciate it...Every store here is Whoville is sold out and
    what they do have left they are rapeing people,but raising their prices...I told the one guy,I will never
    shop in his store again if he is going to be like that...
    You're welcome John.

Many luck with your results.

I went to my local reloading shop this afternoon and they were still full of .224 bullets. They were short on powder and primers, though.

acemisser
    Matt,
    Tried the Nosler bullets today at 100 yards....Started with them into the lands..6 of each using the same 25 gr. of Varget and backing off .015 at a time....My findings with my rifle and barrel,etc was that they need to jump something like .7?? in to the rifleing and then they start grouping decent..So at 2.260 inch they shoot pretty good....I really appreciate your sending them to me to do my testing.. Thanks again Matt.....John

Basic Member
    acemisser, if you would have only watched the "The Walking Dead" Sunday nights on AMC, you would have known which bullets to use.

"Twice in the chest and once in the head always makes them Zombies very dead"
    Edgar Allan Poe (or was it Attila the Hun?)

Last edited by bigedp51; 01-15-2013 at 06:09 PM.

I just scored some 73 gr bergers just to try out--the 308's have always been good for me. My LGS just got in a bunch of Z-maxes as shown above, thought long and hard about it, almost went for it...maybe next time.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I just scored some 73 gr bergers just to try out--the 308's have always been good for me. My LGS just got in a bunch of Z-maxes as shown above, thought long and hard about it, almost went for it...maybe next time.
    Those 73 grainers should be excellent for you..They work great in my 223 with the 9 twist..If I hold it still I can usually
    put 6 for 6 in a 1/2 bull at 100 yds..using 25 gr. of varget

I have a confession to make--I don't have a savage in 223 (yet) and am loading for an AR 15 carbine when I get the chance--I'm still working up 6.5 284 and 308 loads for the savages I do have. The pricing of reload stuff has gotten ridiculous--my 308 stuff is now more expensive than much off-the-shelf factory ammo. Interesting that Berger does not advertise their 223 bullets as adequate for medium game (deer) but Barnes does for their 223 triple shock--I guess being all-copper and superior weight-retention makes the difference?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

MoYoteHunter
    I have had great results with 60 grain v-max bullets in my ar with 1:9 twist. It is an armalite with tons of freebore. So much so that I read Armalite reports no bad goings on when using 5.56 ammo in the 223 chamber. I can't get anywhere close to the rifling because of magazine restrictions, but have gotten pretty good results none the less with the 60s. They also work pretty well in my wifes junker rossi single shot. I just got a box from midway yesterday. They had been on backorder for about two weeks. I remember about two years ago when I couldn't get primers for about 6 months. I hope it doesn't get that bad again.