Thread: black coyote

black coyote

i didnt kill a big enough buck this year to get mounted but i did shoot this guy. im trying to decide on how i want him mounted. this is the 2nd black yote i have killed in my life, i had the first one mounted b/c i figured it was a once in a lifetime thing....wrong. these black ones are getting more and more common around me. im having this one mounted b/c it has one heck of a pretty coat on him!

[img width=600 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/joes350ss/black2.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/joes350ss/black.jpg[/img]

kslefty

Re: black coyote

Around here we call this a coy-dog, somewhere there is some housedog in his genes. Does make for a neat looking pelt and a pair would be really cool.

Basic Member

We had one hanging around the house five or six years ago. I was going to shoot it but my wife had already named it "Blacky" You know how that goes.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by kslefty
    Around here we call this a coy-dog, somewhere there is some housedog in his genes. Does make for a neat looking pelt and a pair would be really cool.
    Agree....there is definitely some domestic dog in that yotes bloodlines.

If he was a little bigger I'd say you shot a brother to the Big-Bad- That I shot.
    Pretty dog though.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    I agree, but if it dont have a collar its a coyote! ;D
    Steve

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Steve

LOL! Very true.

Basic Member

Steve
    [/quote]

I better go put my puppies collar on....... :D
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by Der Verge

I better go put my puppies collar on....... :D
    Your puppies&#39; are going to be mad that you are wearing their collars. :)

Basic Member

you know, always one in a crowd.....
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

Team Savage

Joe: What part of the country are you in?? Good looking pelt. :)
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

I didn&#39;t know where else to post this, but has anyone seen my dog? He was black with a white chest patch and....... ;D

That&#39;s a beauty! I&#39;ve seen a few around my place, but never when I have a gun in my hands. It&#39;s definitely got some domestic dog mixed in there. That&#39;s the most dangerous kind of yote, at least around here. They just don&#39;t have the same fear of humans as the pure breeds do.

Andrew

We used to hear about Coydogs around here a lot when people started to kill numerous large ones over 50 lbs.

Then I read that the Pa. Game Comm. said they have tested DNA from enough to prove that almost all coyotes in the East had wolf DNA in them and that&#39;s what people were calling Coydogs. I really don&#39;t know if they are right or not. My Daughter In Law is a Tax. and she has 3 from last year to mount in the 51 to 55 lbs. range.

Steve NM

Theres a little blurb in this months outdoor life about genetic testing of east coast coyotes and it said everyone tested has wolf genes in them. Nice lookin yote e should make a pretty mount.
    Steve

im from nw arkansas. there is no telling what creates a black yote. i know of 4 that has been killed around here, all of them were about 30 miles from each other. maybe the coyotes around here like black dogs. lol

i may end up mounting it like this one!
    [img width=483 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/joes350ss/yote.jpg[/img]

MAGNUS

Quote Originally Posted by laportecharlie
    We had one hanging around the house five or six years ago. I was going to shoot it but my wife had already named it "Blacky" You know how that goes.
    Charlie
    LOL ;D

And awsome looking mount Joe!!! Id say that they have wolf in them and the black coat is a recessive gene. Id also like to say i want more and more to go to your side of the pond!

Tightgroups

To look at, most people might think that mounted black one, is more dog or wolf then yote, or at least a 50/50 mix. DNA should tell.
    Right in this heavily wooded part of No. Calif. we have vary few coyotes, and the ones we do have all look skinny with a ratty looking gray coat. But we do have some packs of feral dogs, some bear, and pigs. But if you ever see a pack of wiled dogs, they look different, so its easy to tell there not coyotes.

However, we do have our share+ of Mountain Lions, (there protected here, for now) praying manly on deer, but have been known to go after domestic dogs, house cats, live stock and even people. And when you see one of them, there&#39;s no mistaking them for anything but what they are. Full grown there about 8" nose to tip of tail, and the color of a Golden Retriever. I know, I ran in to one at 11:00PM one night in a well lit area between the house and barn, about 20&#39; away, and lucky for me, it ran the other way. The next day, after talking with the Dept of Fish and Game, I got permission to shoot if threatened, he said will do the paper work afterwords. And that works for me.

I now carry 24/7 when at home on the compound. And almost every other time and place for that matter. But not always for just 4 legged dangerous animals.
    Mike.

MAGNUS

Quote Originally Posted by Tightgroups
    Full grown there about 8" nose to tip of tail, and the color of a Golden Retriever.
    8" wow.... at that length sounds more like a golden rat ::)

But you carry that weapon if it makes you feel safer

Team Savage

I think he meant to say "8 feet"! ;D But you guys knew that anyway.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

venatic

I know of one black coyote that was tested and the results..... just a ol coyote. That was in Ms. and I have called up four more in Ms. and Tx. They are just like a black squirrel a melanistic phase not a cross between a squirrel and a.... hmmm black bear.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe h
    i may end up mounting it like this one!
    [img width=483 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/joes350ss/yote.jpg[/img]
    That&#39;s pretty sweet !!!

hunter2

Bagged one just like him in Kentucky. Found out I could get a good price for him from a fur trader. I was actually hunting for a solid white coyote we had seen a few times. Any dead coyote is a good coyote! GOOD SHOOTING!

Hylander

That is a beautiful Dog
    Nice going