Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Savage Build...

Basic Member

First Savage Build...

After citing some issues after several range days, I decided it was time to put the trimmings on the tree so to speak. The axis is great out of the box but I am a man of customization...

Savage Axis XP .308 Win

EGW one piece weaver/picatinny rail
    Burris Med height QR 30mm Tactical rings
    SWFA SS 10x42 MQ Side Parallax w/ sun shade
    Kahntrol Solutions bolt-on muzzle brake http://kahntrol.com/brake-options/
    Timney adjustable trigger (3lb set)
    Beartooth comb raising kit http://www.beartooth-products.com/sh...sing-kits.html
    Champion pivot traverse 9"-13" bipod
    [B]"Fumeiyo Yori Shi"[/B]

That looks great. How well does your brake work? I've been thinking about picking one up.

Basic Member
    thanks for the comment. honestly i couldnt give a review of the brake yet...just dropped in a trigger and redid my entire optics set-up. going out this saturday to re-zero, so there will be info to follow. I decided to put it on for multiple reasons

1. tapered "sporter" barrel caused front end to hop around
    2. not for myself, but to reduce recoil so my wife can begin her long gun training

Basic Member
    Not to bad looking at all. I'm hoping to finish up some of the final work on my before I send the items off on stuff I can't do myself.

Have you done any stock reinforcment yet?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Not to bad looking at all. I'm hoping to finish up some of the final work on my before I send the items off on stuff I can't do myself.

Have you done any stock reinforcment yet?

I havent done any work on the stock yet...not sure where to proceed on that. Thought i'd gather some more info and throw some rounds downrange before making any decisions...any suggestions?

Basic Member
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...e-Easy-Take-II

All the info you need is in this thread. Until aftermarket support is readily available for stocks.

Basic Member

All the info you need is in this thread. Until aftermarket support is readily available for stocks.
    Thanks a bunch. I'll go over it sometime soon. Have a 4 week old daughter so my time is limited. My next build will be for her and my wife (mostly wife). I'm thinking about a Ruger 10/22 build with a Dragunov stock.

Basic Member
    I know the feeling my son is just over 3 months now.

Basic Member

Just gave the post on stock reinforcement a "once over". A bit out of my league to be doing at home. Hopefully some day we can get an aftermarket chassis system for the axis. Or at least some type of higher grade stock options. I rarely do "home smithing", unless it's a simple procedure. Just don't trust my ability to not screw something up.

Basic Member
    It came together much easier than I anticipated. I may screw around with my left over factory stock once the actual project is complete though.

Basic Member
    I guess I'm the only one not understanding why you need a muzzle brake on a 308. It's also a big on the ugly side to boot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I guess I'm the only one not understanding why you need a muzzle brake on a 308. It's also a big on the ugly side to boot.
    Because it's not our place to judge what the OP likes when it comes to the look of his rifle build! It might not tickle everyone's taste buds, and but it works for him and he's proud to show it off!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Volstandigkeit
    I believe he stated in the original post, that he put it on to control the muzzle rise in order to encourage his wife in learning to shoot long range.

Basic Member
    Post #3 actually!

Volstandigkeit
    Post #3 actually!

I stand corrected! LOL

Basic Member
    Thanks for the support Wolf/Volst. To clarify I am on the side of function over form. I agree it is a bit beefy, but putting a brake on a tapered "sporter" barrel limits options, i.e. no thread on. The added weight/size greatly aided in the reduction of "hop" at the muzzle. Since this a fixed position rifle for training an inexperienced shooter, it isn't meant to be a showpiece.

P.S. She looks real sexy in all black! Just saying...

Basic Member
    Maybe this will better show the weapon...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Very cool. I like the muzzle break on the end of the skinny barrel. kinda sorta resembles a Barrett...
    Lots of luck with it and teaching the wife to shoot it.

I guess we all can't be married to a redneck woman that was raised on shooting although, She does make a mean roadkill stew.

And when you want to tighten up that stock, drop me a line. I'd be happy to walk you thru it.
    So easy, a Savage Axis owner can do it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Very cool. I like the muzzle break on the end of the skinny barrel. kinda sorta resembles a Barrett...
    Lots of luck with it and teaching the wife to shoot it.

I guess we all can't be married to a redneck woman that was raised on shooting although, She does make a mean roadkill stew.

And when you want to tighten up that stock, drop me a line. I'd be happy to walk you thru it.
    So easy, a Savage Axis owner can do it.

Thanks and appreciate the assistance offer. May be awhile before I do any more alterations. Oh and not exactly a redneck woman either...we dont do tight jeans and whiney country music. Lol, just not cityfied. I introduced her to firearms about 4 years ago. If she can handle my sks and various pistol calibers I think it's time to ascend to the next level.

223 4 me
    Shockwave! I couldn't agree more she is very "SEXY" nice build brother. I am so glad you posted the manufacture of the brake, I bought my third Stevens 200 last week this one in 30.06. The other two have beefy Mcgowen barrels, and I'm ok with the .223 and .308 as is but this beast needs a brake and thanks to your post I just ordered one. B.T.W Congrats on the new addition to the fam.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 223 4 me View Post
    Shockwave! I couldn't agree more she is very "SEXY" nice build brother. I am so glad you posted the manufacture of the brake, I bought my third Stevens 200 last week this one in 30.06. The other two have beefy Mcgowen barrels, and I'm ok with the .223 and .308 as is but this beast needs a brake and thanks to your post I just ordered one. B.T.W Congrats on the new addition to the fam.
    Thanks and glad I could be of assistance. Only thing I request is a pic once you have your brake installed, lol. Did you go bolt-on or threaded?

223 4 me
    I ordered the bolt on, in fact the same one your running. The brake is the last piece to this build, I allready painted,picc rail,rings,glass,bipod,tactical bolt knob and limb saver recoil pad in one week lol. I recently found a range a hour away called Thunder Valley Precision and they have everything from 100 yrds to a mile so I needed a affordable long range musket to really take advantage of this awsome facility.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 223 4 me View Post
    I ordered the bolt on, in fact the same one your running. The brake is the last piece to this build, I allready painted,picc rail,rings,glass,bipod,tactical bolt knob and limb saver recoil pad in one week lol. I recently found a range a hour away called Thunder Valley Precision and they have everything from 100 yrds to a mile so I needed a affordable long range musket to really take advantage of this awsome facility.

Looks like you've got "the itch". Happy shooting and good luck. Post a pic or 2 if you have the chance. Would like to see your rig when complete.

1760 yards...Man that would be cool to shoot !!!!

RkzShockwave, Good job on the build, looks good!

3093Andrew
    Awesome looking rifle man!! That muzzle brake looks pretty cool on there IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast