Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher comb needed on savage FLCP-k with accustock

Basic Member

Higher comb needed on savage FLCP-k with accustock

My scope combo is high enough that I don't have a cheek weld. I want to put something that I can adjust where it needs to be. I am not really a fan of the cheek pieces that saddle the stock, those seem to push you off the center of the rifle. I was trying to find one of the cordura ones that lace on the underside of the stock and you can add the amount of filler that you need. have any of yall seen these? I can't seem to find the one I am looking for. I am going to talk to the lady that fixes my horse blankets and see if she can make me something if I cant find something.

If I have her make me one I want to have her make one with a pocket for an extra mag.

Thanks~!

Jake
    Last edited by missed; 01-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Basic Member
    I just got a Blackhawk #5 from Midway that I like. It has bullet rings and a zippered pocket too, and the velcro adjustment straps allowed a tight installation.

Basic Member
    I am a lefty so I am kind screwed on ammo loops and pockets it looks like. I am looking at this one. http://www.beartooth-products.com/sh...-break-up.html then I will just have two pouches sewn on it, one for a extra mag and one for empties. We will see how it turns out.

davemuzz
    I bought one of these for my .223 Carbine: http://www.tacticalworks.com/Karsten...t-B-Model.html It's worked out nice and adjust very easy. It was not difficult to install.

Here's mine right after the install. When I finally got to the range I adjusted it down one notch and found it fit great!!

Basic Member

Re: Higher comb needed on savage FLCP-k with accustock

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    I bought one of these for my .223 Carbine: http://www.tacticalworks.com/Karsten...t-B-Model.html It's worked out nice and adjust very easy. It was not difficult to install.

Here's mine right after the install. When I finally got to the range I adjusted it down one notch and found it fit great!!

Does it move you very much off center of the stock? What cover do you have over it?

Basic Member
    I just ordered one of these, I think with a piece of 1" foam or felt under it will do the trick.

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Tactic...d-TOPS3LH.html

davemuzz
    It doesn't move at all. To install it, you have to drill two holes thru the stock, and then insert bolts to keep it in place. The material is a hard plastic...much like the Savage stock itself. Here: http://www.tacticalworks.com/tactica...ation-b-model/ are the installation instructions for it.

The shell holder is just an uncle mikes.....I think....But I do know I bought that from Midway.

Dave

pitsnipe
    Missed,

You do know that is for a right handed shooter. Your cheek will be resting on the shell loops if that is OK. Being a lefty as well, I purchased and installed the exact same Karstens rest that muzz did. And I used the foam pad that came with it for my FLCP-K in .308. Cant attach a pic from work, but if you want a look at it PM me and Ill send one in aa email. Use it for f class, and cheek weld is right on, no rocking or readjusting. Put yer face on the stock and open your eye.......dead center. The best rest I have ever had to a rifle.
    Good luck.

Basic Member

I did order the lefty, the pictures they had were all right hand but the description had left. I'm going to try just this and the build up under it and if it doesn't work I will get a Karsten.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    Missed,

You do know that is for a right handed shooter. Your cheek will be resting on the shell loops if that is OK.
    PITSNIPE,....Are you just jackin my chain here or what? If you want the shellholder to be a lefthand you just slid in on the stock the other way. YOU know what they say on NFL Football......'Comon...Man!!!"

pitsnipe
    Muzz

Ya caught me with a frain bart (worse than a brain fart) But also didnt know if it was "fitted" to go on only one way. Guess it aint.
    Touche maaaaan!

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    Muzz

Ya caught me with a frain bart (worse than a brain fart) But also didnt know if it was "fitted" to go on only one way. Guess it aint.
    Touche maaaaan!
    Perhaps I should move this to the humor section.

It is fitted to go on only one way, because the forward end is narrower than the rear. However you can still slide it around the stock until the cartridge loops are on the left or the right. The cartridge loops are "specially designed" so that cartridges can (get this!) be inserted from either end.

I hope you don't mind me having a gentle chuckle at your expense...I thank you for making me smile this morning.
    Hopefully, I'm laughing with you, not at you.
    Cheers,

Ok, now back to topic. I hope it works for you.

ODA 0121
    Karsten's have been around for several years now, if you are handy you can easily make one yourself with some kydex a jigsaw, sandpaper, drill and heat gun.

What I've done because of issued rifles is simply cut some ensolite foam layers and and use some gaffers tape. Size it for you and you have a fine cheek weld.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 0121 View Post
    Karsten's have been around for several years now, if you are handy you can easily make one yourself with some kydex a jigsaw, sandpaper, drill and heat gun.

What I've done because of issued rifles is simply cut some ensolite foam layers and and use some gaffers tape. Size it for you and you have a fine cheek weld.
    The foam under the cheek piece is how I'm going to try it first, then go the plastic riser if I need to. But I'm not paying $ 60 for the Karsten when I can make it

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Perhaps I should move this to the humor section.

It is fitted to go on only one way, because the forward end is narrower than the rear. However you can still slide it around the stock until the cartridge loops are on the left or the right. The cartridge loops are "specially designed" so that cartridges can (get this!) be inserted from either end.

I hope you don't mind me having a gentle chuckle at your expense...I thank you for making me smile this morning.
    Hopefully, I'm laughing with you, not at you.
    Cheers,

Ok, now back to topic. I hope it works for you.

No problem. If ya cant laugh at yerself .......Who CAN ya laugh at?
    Thank you for puttin up with us Barrel Nuts.

davemuzz
    Believe me......if I attempted to make one of these, my entire Savage stock would end up in a puddle of plastic from mis-use of a heat gun. I'm to old and too smart when it comes to simple stuff like this. I'd rather give my money to guys who know how to do this, than spend $20 on the materials, and have it ending up costing me $250 in the long run for a new stock.

Ask me how I know this? (Ya wanna talk barrel nutz and brain farts??? We got experts here!!!)

ODA 0121
    Heat never touches the rifle stock.

I know several guys who went this route;
    http://m14forum.com/m14/42837-home-m...heek-rest.html
    all they were out was for the kydex, borrowed a heat gun.

The best thing about making your own is you can customize it for your rifle. Shape, size, cutout for bolt removal...it's all up to you.
    Last edited by ODA 0121; 01-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Basic Member

I did build mine up under the tactical works stock cover which by the way is a very nice piece. I just used two layers of 3/4" felt off an old saddle pad and I like it. I ordered some 0.187 kydex to make something permanent and then I will put the tac works cover back over it with some 1/4"felt or neoprene between it and the kydex for a slight bit of padding.

EAW
    You have a synthetic Stock you should be able to install a Loggerhead setup.

http://www.kmwlrs.com/LoggerHead%20ACP.htm

I'd like to know if anyone has installed one on a wood stock myself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EAW View Post
    You have a synthetic Stock you should be able to install a Loggerhead setup.

http://www.kmwlrs.com/LoggerHead%20ACP.htm

I'd like to know if anyone has installed one on a wood stock myself.
    I don't see any reason why that couldn't go on a wood stock. I was going to get one of those when I get an aftermarket stock. I am still using the savage accustock though.

I use a 10.00 catridge holder over a peice of foam
    I use masking tape to hold the foam on
    then slide the black cartridge holder over it
    adjust foam to fit
    cheap-effective
    works great

375Win
    These were $25.+ship from XLR industries sans hardware, hardware came from Ace bins.
    I made it with the thumb nuts to make it easy to lower for bolt removal.

Basic Member

Dang I wish i would have seen that before i ordered the plastic. I may get one of those.

EAW
    Thanks for the links on where to find those parts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast