Thread: What Tool?

Basic Member

What Tool?

I am reworking the bolt on my 264 Win Mag build. What tool do you guys use to remove the ejector retaining pin with?

Thanks

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    A 1/16th." pin punch.

I use finishing nails lots of them, and hold them with a set of pliers that have a wide beam, like linesman pliers so the nail does not bend, and they have a better grip.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    I am reworking the bolt on my 264 Win Mag build. What tool do you guys use to remove the ejector retaining pin with?

Thanks

Ryan
    The pins are .062" so I use pin punch polished down to .059" so it has a little slop

I set the bolt head face down on a rag then tap the put out toward the relief cut allowing the punch to follow the pin all the way out. When pull hte punch I'll lift the bolthead "hopefully" the ejector and spring will be laying on the rag. If not, well, than some other tools and techniques come into play!

To reinstall it I'll use the punch as a slave.

Install the spring and ejector, push the ejector with a case hooked under the extractor then insert the punch toward the recess to hold the ejector in. Again, set the bolt head face down, start the retaining pin and tap it in while pushing the punch out. Finish by tapping the head of the pin in flush with the bottom on the relief cut.

No bags required!!!

Bill

acemisser
    But the whole thing in a plastic baggie and you wouldn't loose the parts when they come out..I do the same thing when putting it back together..Works real good...

jibben
    I have a bolt head that looks just like Bills. I suspect his punch will come out though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    But the whole thing in a plastic baggie and you wouldn't loose the parts when they come out.
    That's why I set the bolt head face down.

When I remove the punch, which is retaining the ejector after driving the pin out, the ejector and spring only have one way to go, down. I do the same removing extractors, but use a small flat blade screwdriver to push the extractor inside toward the center of the bolt face. The extractor, spring and ball are captured under bolt head, they can't go anywhere else.

Plastic bags only get in my way.

Bill

Basic Member
    Thanks! I am headed to home depot or ace hardware right now. I have used the nail trick but man did I go through a lot of finish nails! Stupid of me but I never thought of holding them with pliers...... oops.

Not really going to worry about loosing any of the parts mostly because I am going to replace them all anyway. But a lot of helpful tips here. Again Thank you very much.

next question: PTG bolt face and the fluted bolt body.... Are they worth the $$$. I really like the looks of that bolt body but.

Ryan
    MOAON AABE