Thread: cast bullets in 308

acemisser

cast bullets in 308

anyone tried them? if so how did you make out with them? Probably have to use a gas check on them?

Gas checks are used when:
    You have less than the ideal powder
    You are trying to run jacketed velocities, with NON-jacketed bullets.
    You are unsure of your hardness, and are running quick.

Have shot a fair number of Lee Castings out of my 10FP, load appropriately and you won't even have to scrub lead from the bore.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

+1 with darkker.

I ran some 150gr cast HP's out of a 30-30 with a jacketed load of Varget reduced about 5-10% below start load IIRC, shot about 1 1/2 MOA out of a Contender Carbine I had. No gas check on 'em and no leading.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    1. Take cast lead bullets and throw in trash.

2. Go to Hodgdon's website and click on "data".

3. Click on H4895 reduced rifle loads.

4. Click on Trail Boss reduced rifle loads.

More than one easy way to skin a cat and lead in the bore isn't a problem or hot molten lead.
    (Don't ask me about the day a wheel weight with water under the clip caused my melting pot to explode)

Speer Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 100 Grain Plinker Round Nose Soft
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618...int-box-of-100

The .303 British is .312 caliber, and the Enfield rifle has a hard brass butt plate and after firing 100 mouse fart rounds your shoulder won't be black and blue. ;-)

NOTICE: No shoulders were harmed or injured during the filming of this posting.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 01-05-2013 at 10:21 AM.

You using Trail Boss in your Brit?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    1. Take cast lead bullets and throw in trash.

2. Go to Hodgdon's website and click on "data".

3. Click on H4895 reduced rifle loads.

4. Click on Trail Boss reduced rifle loads.

More than one easy way to skin a cat and lead in the bore isn't a problem or hot molten lead.
    (Don't ask me about the day a wheel weight with water under the clip caused my melting pot to explode)
    I'll fix this for ya
    1 - Take cast bullet out of trash, sell to ANYONE for market value; give money you didn't want, to me.
    2 - Ignore Hodgy, and look at a reloading source that actually cares about Cast. Such as any of the Lyman manuals, or Lee's Modern Reloading.
    3 - Look up the powders that work for the bullet and velocity desired, compare with what you have on-hand; or can purchase easily.
    4 - Again, see above.

Lead in the bore ISN'T a problem, provided you read the loading manuals info, OR my post above. Working with hot lead is only as dangerous as working with a hot stove. If cooking with hot oil and frying chicken is difficult for you, then buy your cast bullets from any of the great vendors out there.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    #5: Either lap or shoot the snot out of a relatively-recent production Savage bbl before shooting cast. The appropriate loads won't lead the bbl in and of themselves, but the rougher-than-snot bbl interiors will strip lead pretty badly.

acemisser
    OMG You guys are funny....I almost wet my pants on some of those comments..lol Thanks

ellobo
    I have shot hundreds of cast lead bullets out of a .308 Winchester model 70 with no problems, no leading and MOA at 100 yds. Lyman 255 gr. gas check bullets cast hard. Wheel wgt's worked best. Added 1% tin. It was a cut rifled barrel, not like a button broached Savage barrel. If I were to do it with a Savage barrel I would use the Tubbs bullets to smooth out the bore first. All the bullets I used had gas checks and were sized .308 in a Lyman sizer-lubricator. With the proper loads of IMR 4895 there is virtually no recoil. You can shoot all day with no sore shoulder. Great practice rounds.

El Lobo

Basic Member
    I shoot almost only cast bullets. EX: 314299 sized .309", gas check, Lyman Super Moly, 3.000" OAL, 21/IR4227, WLP, Savage M10 308 Win, Simmons 6.5-20X @ 20, --this load will average 5 groups 5 shots 100 yards ~1".
    No gas check, 1/2/13, same load but 15.5/IMR4227, 100 yards, 5 shot groups, 1.5", 1.5", 1.4", 1.625", .7" AVG 1.345", working up the no gas check load. I hope to get no gas check load <1.25".
    Cast bullets = little recoil, little barrel wear, small cost, smaller noise, great satisfaction.
    Go with cast, not so fast.
    joe b.
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/

Uncle Jack
    Anyone who wants to shoot cast lead in a rifle should read this:

http://www.lasc.us/brennan_4-5_heattreat.htm

uj

acemisser
    exellent reading material..Thank you so much for that site....

Basic Member
    Been shooting 6.5,30,8mm, and 45/70 for years with no problem, not to mention every handgun round out there. I advise cleaning all copper first, using a good quality lube such as Lyman Orange Magic or the newer Black magic with MOly, and learn from others who do it all the time. I have had good luck in Savage barrels, by sizing and lubing, gaschecking, then spraying moly coating on the whole bullet on a lazy susan, let dry 24 hours, gently wipe excess off, and no lead fouling, usually 1 inch groups or less. Pops like a 22 magnum, no recoil, have taken deer and shoots thru a 4" cedar post at 100yds.

Basic Member
    I've shot cast for over 20 years,no problems! They are good cheap fun to load and shoot.

acemisser
    well,from what I have read etc if the bullet is fairly hard and you keep the velocity down there should be no leading....should is the big if I guess..I have shot them in 22 cal up to 2000 with no ill effect..but nothing any bigger..