Thread: barrel swap

possum1

barrel swap

Why would a person swap or change a barrel rather than purchase a new rifle? I've been looking at the barrel price's the least expensive I've seen is $259. I was talking to a smith that would order a Steven's 200 with a nice trigger job for $340. Am I missing something here or is it the " I can do it myself " thing? I'm wanting a .223 and it look's to me the least expense is the Steven's 200.

chestsprings

Re: barrel swap

this same question was asked a few weeks ago.

since I'm a three barrel swapper, my answer is/was.

same trigger, stock, & scope being used on the same gun. also, getting a better barrel than the factory. it's not for every one, but for people like me , who like to tinker with stuff, it's a hobby, & fun.

I have never shot a factory round out of any of my rifles, & that's in over 50 yrs. so I can experiment with different things.

also some of what you said, " I can do it myself " thing?

possum1

When you really have a shooter like I have, which I hand load for, How could I get a better barrel? What I mean by that is grouping and accuracy. Don't take me the wrong way not trying to be a-hole :D

chestsprings

When you really have a shooter like I have, which I hand load for, How could I get a better barrel

I have no answer for that. if you are satisfied with the rifle/barrel you have, don't change it.

as I had mentioned in my case( another topic) , I had Fred T&T, new bolt, SSS trigger, etc.

I have one scope, stock, trigger, etc. for three barrels ( so three rifles) .

don't get me wrong, three rifles are great also. I'm running out of space in my safe for more rifles. maybe I should just buy a bigger safe, & then I can buy more rifles ;D

in your case, it's sounds like you have a good deal. a present rifle that shoots very good, & you can get a 223 for $340.

can't go wrong with that.

Basic Member

The only reason imo to custom build a rifle is just that custom. Your wanting a rifle that cannot be found on store shelves, fits your needs perfectly, and serves a very specific purpose.

I went with a custom build because I wanted a heavy barrel 308 in left hand, i wanted the action timed and trued, and a good aftermarket trigger. The closest thing that would fit was the model 10flcp-k. Instead I got exactly what I wanted with no compromises.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

kslefty

Possum, you can take a great shooting rifle and re-barrel it to another caliber then put it back exactly how it was and it still shoots excellent. I was very apprehensive about taking my .243 apart but it was a 22-250 AI for a while and is now a .243 again. A barrel can be had from Midway for $129 and is just as good as your gun has on it now, probably finished a bit better.

possum1

yaw fella's got me thinking now, hadn't seen the A&B barrel's at midway. Aint crazy about 1-14 rather have 1-9. What exactly is timed and trued ??? h*ll just dreaming now I'm a poor man with a house full of kid's.

ellobo

Possum,
    I got into the custom rifle thing because I wanted a couple of rifles in calibers you dont normaly see in factory rifles, a 7x57 and a .35 Whelen. Basicaly time and true is a machining process that times the action for smoother operation and trueing is squaring the action face and cutting a better ramping of the lugs which also aids in a smoother bolt closing. Its a little more complicated than that but thats the gist of it. Fred Moreo at SharpshooterSupply is the best there is at that work, he advertises here. The reason even cheap Stevens rifles shoot as well as they do, generaly better than any other make out of the box is becasue of the perfect headspacing due to the barrel nut system and the floating bolt head. Hope that answers some of your questions. By the way, both of those rifles have A&B barrels from Midway, the .35 whelen was on sale for $89 and both barrels shoot better than an inch groups at 100 yds.

El Lobo

possum1

Like I said got me thinking. The 221 Rem. Fireball look's interesting. Something different anyway, I've got the 223 in a single shot.

Basic Member

IMHO, if all I had to choose from as my switch-barrel platform was a Stevens 200, I'd probably rethink that one as well. I have a model 12BVTHS and a Model 12FVTH that fit me like we both came out of my mom at the same time attached at the hands and shoulder. I own about 15 long guns and those two fit me the best. Well actually, I also have a Rem 700 BVSS Thumbhole with an almost identical stock (both are Boyds) that fits me as well. I swap barrels on them to keep the nice fit and familiar feel, which I believe ultimately makes me a more consistent shooter.
    Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.