Thread: Ist Savage ever at 72 years Young

Basic Member

Ist Savage ever at 72 years Young

I am new to Savage as new can be even at 72, Bought my first 12F Class 6BR, I am now a believer. In my younger years Savage was a 2nd class firearm atleast that was the feeling back then. They have made some great strides, and they are becoming known as the creme of the crop. I have never changed a barrel on a Savage, and I guess the only time I would have to do it if the accuracy went south on me. I am doing a action and getting a barrel for it and the necessary tools to do it. Never have been one to attept the unknown but I am willing to try. Everyone says it is so easy? I was amazed at the number of barrel makers make Savage droop in barrels. The part of go and no go somewhat confuses me. As to when I would have it right and if I could get up enough courage to shoot the rifle after me doing it? I am no Gunsmith by any means, have moved from Maryland to Delaware. I have nobody to boost my confidence for undertaking such a venture. So with all the expertise of the sight here I am sure someone will step forward and help an Old Fart out. Thanks Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

possum1

Re: Ist Savage ever at 72 years Young

ourway, I'm in the same boat as you, excluding a few year's, I am wanting to change a barrel but wondering if I can put the first shot down the range. I have never had a rifle as accurate as the Savage/Stevens.

woody

Welcome to savage ownership, I guess I could say better late than never.
    I'am about the same age but bought my first savage in 66 or 67.
    I have a friend that has a vice, wrench and gauges so he does mine. It takes him about 15 minutes or less after he's found everthing.

I bought my second Savage a about a year ago (7Rem Mag), shot it a few times then bought a Stevens LA plastic stock and a 30-06 barrel for cheap off this site. I then bought a Whelen action wrench and a barrel nut wrench again off this site and changed out the barrel. I did not have a go-no go gauge so I used a factory sized shell and set the head space. I even had to change out the bolthead and fireing pin. I did have some apprehension when I went to shoot it the first time, but I did it right and I am still here.

If I can do this, believe you me, so can you. If you have changed your oil or spark plugs, you can change out a barrel and a bolt head.

Also get a membership here and gain access to all the how to articles, classifieds and sponsor pages. Best $12 I have spent since I got my rifle.

Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Basic Member

Congratulations. I think you'll have to do a lot of shooting to burn that 6br barrel out. Hope you do shoot a lot and burn it though. Good excuse to put a custom barrel on. Once you put one on, you'll be hooked. The hardest part is to get the old barrel off. Lots of good tips on here about that. I like to use painters tape to protect the surfaces of action and barrel.

How is your 6br f-class throated? Can you jam the longer bullets like the 105 and 108? My f-class 6br freebore is forever. Have fun with that thing.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Basic Member

Have no idea how it's throat ed, It a 1 in 12 twist, Have found it shoots 68 Berger's very well. After the break in period I found the fore mentioned load to really shine. Almost 1 hole group at 100. Well almost except for one of the five shots a hair off the 4 shots. I was amazed at the accuracy, the best shooting rifle I have ever had. Already planning to get the same rifle in 6.5-284. I wanted a 1-8 twist but at the price I got the rifle for, I bought the 1-12twist and have not been sorry. Thanks for the Heads Up. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Uncle Jack

I was born in 1937 also. I bought my first Savage 110LH rifle in the mid 60's and have only recently gotten back into the gun tinkering mode. It's really great to have a rifle system that allows the owner to easily modify his weapon as he sees fit.

uj

63 and semi-retired. I've been hooked on Savage builds since I got back from working in Afghanistan early 08. I've put together a 308, 6mm Norma BR, 7mm/08 sporter, 223 and 280 Ackley.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

IT'S FREEDOM ............. BABY!!!

The Savage system allows a careful sort to do his or her own work without having to find a gunsmith and then wait for it!!!

Do It Yourself ........ with GUNS!!!

Three 44s

Basic Member

Thanks you have restored my faith in my self well 1/2 anyway. I have always been an out of the box shooter, mostly Remington. I think I am hooked just bought a Savage action and getting a 6.5-284 barrel, Haven't decided on the twist yet. Want to shoot 120 Nosler bullets as I have an abundance of them that I shoot in my 700 same caliber. This will be my first try building a rifle on my own, well atleast buying all that is necessary to do the job, but will have Mr. Russo build a sstocck for it. I will appreciate any suggestions on the twist and lenght of barrel. Thanks again. Lou

Team Savage

Us "Old" (older) guys got to stick together! And if you were tired yesterday, you're "re tired" again today! ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.