Thread: Axis Factory Scope Mount

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

I just ordered the EGW axis scope mount. How do I remove the factory one piece mount?

Basic Member
    Are there not four screws holding it down?

seanmurphy265
    the one piece base and rings that came on the gun. It looks like there is one screw in the front of the base. At the rear of the mount there is a hole for a screw, but it's something like a rivet. When I bought the gun last year, the gun shop told me that I would have to cut off the factory mount. I will try to see if I can get some pics.

Basic Member
    Is it an Axis or an Edge?

The Edge is the older model Axis.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

It's an axis. It has 2 screw holes in the mount.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

It's hard to take good pics. The one in front has a screw, but the hole in the back does not; it appears to be something like a rivet.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

Ok, so there are a total of 4 holes under that mount? So if I some how mess the last hole I will be ok. Since the egw mount is one solid piece. I am wanting to mount a 50mm scope. This 40mm Nikon is a good scope, but my 50mm Nikon on my 35 whelen is much better late in the evening.

Basic Member
    It would help if you took off the current scope since you have to do it anyway.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

I am going to finish out the last 2 weeks of rifle (deer season) in Mississippi. I can see the screw in the front, but that's not a screw in the back. I have a strong feeling I will have to cut off the mount. If It was something simple I would remove the scope. I now know that's not the factory mount.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

Well it's been a rough year hunting. I have missed the largest deer I have seen while hunting last week. I sighted my gun and got it back on target. Yesterday evening I missed another deer; I have missed 6 deer with this gun. I was going to wait until after deer season, but I got to get my gun fixed. There were no screws in the front two holes of the mount. The rear screw had been ground down for some reason. The front mount appears to have been rubber cemented. I am pissed.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

If you look closely you can see glue.

rs
    Just me , but first thing i would do is have a real serious talk with the man that sold me the rifle/scope pkg. the next option is find a reliable gunsmith and have the screws/rivets whatever drilled out and the threads chased/repaired and have the proper base of your choice installed.

seanmurphy265
    The gun was sold as new with a factory mount.... I had to clean out the front two holes the best I could. I am hunting on public land out of a ground blind. I thought it was a combination of range and me not having a good prop to shoot from. I have never mounted a scope, and have always had my gun shop do the mount and bore sight for me. I have never had an issue until now. I guess that I am getting ready to learn.

seanmurphy265

Axis Factory Scope Mount

I like the weaver rings better. The EGW rail is a nice setup also, and looks good as well. This is my first time to mount a scope. I used loctite on all the screws. I used a laser bore sight to adjust the scope. I hope to shoot it tomorrow, & finish out the rest of rifle season without anymore issues.

Basic Member
    It appears to me that the Ded nutz mount is for a long action, that's why there are no screws in the front. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet that Ded Nutz doesn't even make a base for an Axis.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    That what I said in 13 ,but i was not sure whether or not dead nutz made an axis base!
    DNZ does make a one piece mount for the Axis, but I wonder if the original owner bought the correct mount.

They do - in three heights and two different colors. http://www.dnzproducts.com/game-reap...e-axis-or-edge
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

19. 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
    Reason
    Split to new thread

20. 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Reason
    Split to new thread

Previous two posts split into their own thread which can be found here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ght-in-Problem
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain