Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 winchester super magnum

Banned

17 winchester super magnum

i hear savage is gonna chamber this new round that decimates the 17hmr and 22wmr

Basic Member
    Sounds like a pretty tempting small game season hog killer!

outback andy
    I'm waiting for a .22 Super Mag to come out next ? .....

Basic Member
    perhaps ... that'd be even tastier

Success will depend greatly on the price of the ammunition. Given current 17 HMR ammo prices compared to some .223 ammo prices, the window is pretty small. Factor in the new 17 Hornady Hornet which offers slightly higher velocities and the window gets even smaller.

17 HRM ammo currently runs from $12-17 for a box of 50.
    17 Hornady Hornet currently runs $17-20 for a box of 25.
    223 Fiocche Extreme 40 or 50gr V-Max is currently $20 for a box of 50
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

CATWHISKERS
    Right now, MidSouth Shooters, hornidy 17hmr 9.99 box of 50.

Basic Member
    As I stated in my post - my thoughts immediately went to shooting hogs. Here in the south we have a significant population of hogs ... and they are not considered game animals. The DNR is happy if you shoot them during any open season though ... but you can only carry rimfire guns during small game season (outside of deer season). So, while I could use a 22LR or 22WMR, I'm interested when someone comes out with a more powerful rimfire.

Basic Member
    looks to be interesting...

308law
    Midway has 17 WMR advertised for 10.79 for 50 for Hornady, cheaper than the 11.69 for 17 HMR. The Winchester prices I have seen were more on the lines of 15 to 17 dollars for 50.

outback andy
    Yea and being Winchester owns this new patent for the .17 Super Mag, I,m thinking it will be 17.00 to 19.00 dollars for 50..
    Last edited by outback andy; 01-16-2013 at 03:52 AM.

If limited to rimfire it will probly be an excellent choice but if not then I think the 223 would be more practical especially if you reload.

Basic Member
    NRA Life Member

davemuzz
    Well, the plus side is this new rimfire with a 25gr. bullet will get 2600fps. That's nice and you don't have to reload. OTOH...the Fireball with that same 25gr. bullet will get you 3600fps, with the same accuracy....and with reloading, at a cost per shot much less than factory .17 Fireball, or the .17 S-Mag.

The Fireball has much better killing power at longer distances (or I should say it will have killing power at the 150yard to 200yard distances, where the S-mag will be a maybe).

Neither will blow up a fur and for fox hunters, this is a big plus. I currently have a Fireball and I one time owned a HMR. I wouldn't switch to anything but the new .17 Hornet because of ammo availability, and the fact that the .17 Hornet has the same ballistics as the .17 Fireball. And both the Hornet and the Fireball are superior to any .17 Rimfire out there...or to be released.

But....that' MHO on it. The .17's are a "niche" rifle caliber that work very well for fur getters. In that little slice of the pie market, they are great. Outside of that....other calibers outshine 'em. But for what they are built for....you can't get better.

Dave

Big Old Boy
    Wow great idea I'm still waiting for a 17 hornet have not found one yet. How long will we wait for this rimfire 2-3 years?????????

Basic Member

Grabagun.com shows a street price of $287.98
    NRA Life Member

308law
    Thats the coolest thing I've seen from shot yet, I want one.

Big Old Boy
    me too I just called Savage and was told April or May but they did not say what year I do think it will make a great woodchuck rifle and easy for an old man like myself to tote.

Ed Carey
    Sign me up for one, I'm a rimfire whore any way, this has a very high cool factor

Ed

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Success will depend greatly on the price of the ammunition. Given current 17 HMR ammo prices compared to some .223 ammo prices, the window is pretty small. Factor in the new 17 Hornady Hornet which offers slightly higher velocities and the window gets even smaller.

17 HRM ammo currently runs from $12-17 for a box of 50.
    17 Hornady Hornet currently runs $17-20 for a box of 25.
    223 Fiocche Extreme 40 or 50gr V-Max is currently $20 for a box of 50
    Winchester is saying about 30 cents a round. Savage saying the B-Max bolt gun chambered for it will be MSRP $349.

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Old Boy View Post
    Wow great idea I'm still waiting for a 17 hornet have not found one yet. How long will we wait for this rimfire 2-3 years?????????
    Savage is saying the rifle will be out between the end of this April and early summer.
    Have to figure the same for the ammo.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug76 View Post
    Savage is saying the rifle will be out between the end of this April and early summer.
    Have to figure the same for the ammo.

Yeah.....they said the .17 Hornet was suppose to be "shipping" in March of 2012 and even today, January of 2013 the shipping is "spotty" at best.

I ordered (and received) from Midway a set of .17 Hornet Hornady dies, 100 pcs, of brass, and just for kicks I included two boxes of factory ammo. I got it all.....way back in May of 2012. It's still sitting on my reloading shelf....under some dust at this point.

Maybe this spring? Tough to say. (I'm speaking of the .17 Hornet now.) So...I wouldn't get too revved up about the "release date" of the .17 mag rimfire.

MHO

Dave

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Yeah.....they said the .17 Hornet was suppose to be "shipping" in March of 2012 and even today, January of 2013 the shipping is "spotty" at best.

I ordered (and received) from Midway a set of .17 Hornet Hornady dies, 100 pcs, of brass, and just for kicks I included two boxes of factory ammo. I got it all.....way back in May of 2012. It's still sitting on my reloading shelf....under some dust at this point.

Maybe this spring? Tough to say. (I'm speaking of the .17 Hornet now.) So...I wouldn't get too revved up about the "release date" of the .17 mag rimfire.

MHO

Dave
    Can't argue with that. I've given up using the "hope" word as it has been grossly misused by a particular someone, but lets say I'm optimistic it will show up relatively soon.

Big Old Boy
    Dave i'm with you and. Doug you are in a dream state I think 2014 at best.

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Old Boy View Post
    Dave i'm with you and. Doug you are in a dream state I think 2014 at best.
    Unlikely. I live in reality. At any rate, I did say relatively, and 2014 fits that assessment, but I do in fact think it will be sooner.

I held and played with this exact rifle at SHOT this week.

Plastic stock felt cheap, plastic trigger guard, bolt did not cycle smooth. I was not impressed at all. Both of my current Savage rimfires are much nicer. I hope that the production rifles are smoother and they offer a version with a much nicer stock.

Just my opinion on it at first inspection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast