Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17 winchester super magnum

I definitely wouldn't hold my breath on the stock. Look how crappy the Axis and Model 25 synthetic stocks are....seems Savage is still more than content to give us less than suitable synthetic's just as they have been for years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Big Old Boy
    I'm still looking forward to it and hope it's soon.

Downunderimfire
    Here is another vid that mentions $$$$ and availability of the ammo and availability of the Savage

buck89
    I am so getting one of these as soon as they come out, I think I have one preordered already!!!

Here is a thread about it on another forum:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ri...ag-here-9.html

9 pages of good reading, articles and all the videos that have been published.

You and others in that thread are being VERY optimistic about when these guns will be hitting the market. The couple of reviews that have been done were done using prototypes, and the rifles they had at the SHOT Show were already noticeably different than those used in the reviews. Savage tells people every year March, April or May and the reality is that they guns never show up until July, August and September. And even if the rifles were to hit the market as projected, I guarantee you probably won't see any ammunition until early-mid summer as that's what Ohlin-Winchester has projected.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevM View Post
    As I stated in my post - my thoughts immediately went to shooting hogs. Here in the south we have a significant population of hogs ... and they are not considered game animals. The DNR is happy if you shoot them during any open season though ... but you can only carry rimfire guns during small game season (outside of deer season). So, while I could use a 22LR or 22WMR, I'm interested when someone comes out with a more powerful rimfire.
    RevM, just for clarification, here in SC those weapon restrictions apply only for night hunting for hogs (and coyotes) , and for hunting on Game Management lands; any weapon is okay in daylight on private lands. There are exceptions for night hunting, though.

For coyotes, from the last day of Feb. until, I believe, the first of July, centerfire rifles will be okay at night on private lands, BUT -- between those dates, you must call DNR and tell them who is going to hunt and on what property, AND if you are using a centerfire you must be in a position at least 10 feet off the ground. You only need to do this once for that entire period.

For hogs, you can use centerfire at night any time if you call and get permitted with DNR.

All of this I verified with DNR just last week. Feel free to call them; they are exceptionally nice folks, and they really want us to kill all we can.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    RevM, just for clarification, here in SC those weapon restrictions apply only for night hunting for hogs (and coyotes) , and for hunting on Game Management lands; any weapon is okay in daylight on private lands. There are exceptions for night hunting, though.

For coyotes, from the last day of Feb. until, I believe, the first of July, centerfire rifles will be okay at night on private lands, BUT -- between those dates, you must call DNR and tell them who is going to hunt and on what property, AND if you are using a centerfire you must be in a position at least 10 feet off the ground. You only need to do this once for that entire period.

For hogs, you can use centerfire at night any time if you call and get permitted with DNR.

All of this I verified with DNR just last week. Feel free to call them; they are exceptionally nice folks, and they really want us to kill all we can.
    pisgah, thanks for checking on that - but my hunting buddies and I only have access to WMA land here near the beach (places with hogs near here are Woodbury, Waccamaw, and Francis Marion) ... hence the interest in a powerful rimfire.

Now if the DNR guys would issue permits for those of us who want to hunt hogs on WMA's during the small game season with centerfires ... well then, my interest in the little rimfire goes away.
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    In Ark. for hogs you can only use a centerfire on public land if there is open season that allows centerfires.
    On private land use what you brung 24-7.

Basic Member
    >pisgah, thanks for checking on that - but my hunting buddies and I only have access to WMA land here near the beach (places with hogs near here are Woodbury, Waccamaw, >and Francis Marion) ... hence the interest in a powerful rimfire.

Understood. Don't neglect, though, to seek out landowners and ask permission to hunt. We don't have much in the way of hogs in my county, but I have gotten permission to hunt coyotes on five private tracts just this week! That gives me a total of 17 tracts now, ranging from 50 to 800 acres apiece. When it comes to hogs and dogs, people are eager to have them controlled. Once they get used to my coming and going and know I can be trusted, many of them will let me come back for deer and turkeys, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12