Thread: 270 WSM in a LRP action?

AidensDAD11

270 WSM in a LRP action?

I have an idea in my head for a long range deer/target rig. I'm thinking about picking up a LRP and selling off the HS Precision stock and factory barrel. I'm planning on using the XLR chassis with Alpha WSM mags and a custom barrel (somewhere between 24" and 28", still very much undecided on this).

Any suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated. The only issue I can think of is ejecting the fatter case from that small ejection port, but considering how many people use the single shot target actions for 338 Edge builds I'm assuming this is a non-issue.

My only suggestion would be to build in a 6.5 or 7mm WSM just for greater selection of bullets for long range shooting. Other than that, build it.

AidensDAD11
    I have considered both of those options as they both offer a selection of higher BC bullets. I ruled out the 6.5 due to a <1k round barrel life and the fact that it's a handload only proposition. The 7mm is still on the table, but I'm afraid the bullets with a high enough BC to outshine the 270 are also going to be to long to feed through the Alpha mags.

tyler.woodard04
    Throat the barrel short and the will feed. My 7wsm feeds from a accurate mag just fine. Jumping bergers alot but shoots very well. Here us my xlr striker in 7wsm

helotaxi
    ^^^That is frickin' cool! Is that two popped primers in the bullet box there?

I'd stick with the .270 WSM actually. With the new long range Accubonds on their way, the .270 is poised to really come into its own as a long range hunting cartridge. The 7 WSM has the most potential, but only if you are able to load long. The factory Savage mags are fantastic in that regard. If you can't seat the bullet long, you lose a lot of powder capacity if you can even get the bullet seated where the ogive isn't in the neck. If it is in the neck, you'll have problems with bullet retention since the 7 WSM has a shorter neck than the other WSM cartridges. I bought a .270 WSM Trophy Hunter to acquire a left handed WSM action with the intent of converting to a 7 WSM. Based on how it shoots and the new Accubonds, it is probably going to remain a .270 for the foreseeable future.

tyler.woodard04
    Thanks. No those were sized and used when setting headspace

AidensDAD11
    I know I posted this question awhile back, but I recently moved from PA to TX so finances requires me to put the project on hold. Now I'm finally ready to start ordering peices for this project. Can anyone confirm that the wider short mag cases will reliably eject from the small lrp port? If not I'm considering picking up a model 12 VLP in 300WSM to use as my basis for the build instead. I really want the target action, but I'm nervous about that small port ejecting the fat cases.

Anyways, I've done a bit more research on the project and this is what I've come up with...

XLR chassis
    Varmint or Target action?
    28" Bull barrel with DE brake (chambered for 7mm SAUM, throated for 175gr accubonds)
    Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AidensDAD11 View Post
    I know I posted this question awhile back, but I recently moved from PA to TX so finances requires me to put the project on hold. Now I'm finally ready to start ordering peices for this project. Can anyone confirm that the wider short mag cases will reliably eject from the small lrp port? If not I'm considering picking up a model 12 VLP in 300WSM to use as my basis for the build instead. I really want the target action, but I'm nervous about that small port ejecting the fat cases.

Anyways, I've done a bit more research on the project and this is what I've come up with...

XLR chassis
    Varmint or Target action?
    28" Bull barrel with DE brake (chambered for 7mm SAUM, throated for 175gr accubonds)
    Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP
    You're jacking the OP's thread.

Make your own thread.

Basic Member
    mattm0812 he is the OP

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    mattm0812 he is the OP
    Last edited by stangfish; 01-08-2013 at 06:00 PM.

AidensDAD11
    Anyone have an opinion on which is the better option. WSM varmint action or LRP with larger bolt face? Being a long range hunting rifle, the trigger will never be set lower than 1.5-2 pounds. In this case is the target trigger of any real benefit to me?

Basic Member
    I have my 6.5 LRP in a McCree chassis. I really like it, you might consider them too. I believe the 6.5 barrel should be good for more than a 1000 rounds since they shooting about 2700 with factory 140's. 7saum is a good cartridge but no more common than 6.5 creedmoor these days. My LRP will shoot sub moa to 1k with factory amax's.