Thread: Starting Load suggestions Lapua 155Gr Scenar and Berger 185Gr Juggernauts for .308?

Mark.W

Smile Starting Load suggestions Lapua 155Gr Scenar and Berger 185Gr Juggernauts for .308?

Hi Everyone,

Its my first post here so I guess I'm a newbie. The last time I used my rifle was before forums were invented :)
    I am getting back into shooting now, target shooting specifically. Used to hunt way back then, but never paid that much attention to my reloading.
    Now that I am trying to shrink my groups I realise its a different ball game all together, so I am trying to catch up.

The two target rounds I am planning on using is the Lapua 155 Scenar (Short to Medium Range 200-500) and the Berger 185 Juggernaut (long Range - 600-1000).
    I own a pre-accutrigger 112FVSS Savage in .308, its barely had 500 rounds through it but it served me well in hunting. Currently getting .5MOA groups @ 100m using 168 Sierra MK, but anything past 500 its not happening for me. I know there is probably a lot of shooting error that is responsible for it, but I want start eliminating the culprits one by one.

My rifle is chambered quite a bit off the lands 0.139" over the recommended 2.80". I am seating .015" off the land at the moment for my 168 Sierras which they seem to like. That makes my C.O.L 2.92".

Can any one recommend a good starting load for the Lapua 155Gr and the Berger 185 Juggernauts?
    This would save me a lot of lead and time. Much appreciated.

Mark

You gotta whole lot going on in that post Mark.....

1) The game hasn't changed, just more chickens in the field.
    2) Bullets. I personally don't use them, but have exp with the Lapua. I don't like Berger bullets, they REQUIRE fiddling with that others don't. The 168 SMK has LONG be recognized as having a poor boat tail angle, for Trans-Sonic velocities.
    The big trade-off is between tail angles for high BC, and Trans-Sonic survival. Berger's monster BC's are at the expense of that surviveability. Given how heavy the juggernaut is, your general requirements will be: NEEDING a faster twist, NEEDING to not cross trans sonic.
    Unless you refuse to learn drift and scope adjustments, you can get the 155 class bullets to 1K wi much less drop.
    For your short range PBR shooting, the light weights are quite popular, as BC is essentially meaningless at those ranges.

3) If you are looking for LR loads, especially with the bullets listed; STOP using 100 yards as your benchmark. They are different animals. My 1,000 yard loads are sighted at 500. When I do shoot them at the 100 yard line, I have a group slightly more impressive than a shotgun; from MOA at 1K.

4) your rifle isn't "chambered" anything but 308. Your longer than SAAMI throat just proves you have a gun that was made on mass production lines. I've never had a gun of any make/chamber, that did NOT have a longer than "spec" throat.

5) COAL is gun/load dependent. My 175 SMK's are perfectly happy with everything else I shoot, at Lee's 1/32" off the lands. I find that Berger bullets are very fickle for the COAL. Apparently I am not the only one, as they now build Hybrids to combat that issue.....Which they won't admit was an issue. Basically it is a Sierra front half bullet, and the typical Berger tail. ...What was that saying about imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

Find a decent reloading manual and read it. Case fill and volume are VASTLT more important that case weight, or head stamps. REALLY pisses people off when I bring mixed headstamps and my 10FP, and outshoot therm.
    Last edited by darkker; 01-05-2013 at 02:07 AM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Mark.W
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I have plenty of manuals and have read them all, they all specify min and max loads. I would rather not go through the whole charge spectrum to save powder and projectiles.

I was hoping someone here has developed a pet load, that way i can work my way around that in smaller charge increments and see which one my rifle likes.

Cheers
    Mark

Start at 43.2 and work up in .3grn increminets with the 185's, Varget Power, BR LR primers. Any more and I start seeing pressure signs.

The speed your looking for should be around 2,925, but watch for pressure before you get close to this.

My rifle likes the 185's off the lands about .050. I am shooting a 10 twist, 28" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.W View Post
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I have plenty of manuals and have read them all, they all specify min and max loads. I would rather not go through the whole charge spectrum to save powder and projectiles.

I was hoping someone here has developed a pet load, that way i can work my way around that in smaller charge increments and see which one my rifle likes.

Cheers
    Mark

My pet load is for MY gun, YOUR gun won't like the same load. Every gun is a beast unto it's self. Nosler and Speer list most accurate loads and powders tested, try them if you want.
    If you really want to save powder and projectiles, don't take loads from the internet, take them from manuals and your rifle. Load near the start range and you will burn much less powder and loose little velocity.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Speedrat1
    Good posts Darkker..... just wondering do you like to aim for 90-100% load density, lightly compressed or ?