Thread: Finally got the right loads for my LRP 260

mnhntr

Finally got the right loads for my LRP 260

After 2 very frustrating range sessions and experimenting with 2 different bullets trying to find a good consistent, accurate load, it all came together. I bought a Savage LRP in .260 last fall and did not get to shoot over the winter but a little experimenting last fall and this spring was frustrating to say the least. I really wanted to get every bit of accuracy out of this rifle because I plan to do some 1000-1500 yd shooting. Well let me tell you I had no idea 0.010in is such a huge deal in seating depth with target bullets. I found that 41.5gr of H4350, Federal Match LR primers and 140gr Berger VLDs are awsome when seated to 2.260 at the ogive and 42gr H4350 same primer and a 142gr SMK seated 2.260 at the ogive are almost as good. here are the two best groups. I now have to load some up and zero the scope and test at long range. The 3 rd groups were shot at 100yds and the Bergers gave me .240in and the SMKs gave me .288in. I know 3rd groups are not as good as 5 but I was in a hurry to try these babies.
    [img width=558 height=768]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/ekhunter/Scan0001.jpg[/img]
    [img width=558 height=768]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/ekhunter/Scan00014.jpg[/img]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Re: Finally got the right loads for my LRP 260

You just have to love it when it FInALLY all comes together. I went thru the very same BS with an old 30'06 I picked up at a pawn shop. After countless combinations of bullets & powder, I finally came across RL - 19 and a 180gr Nosler BT. Althought the recoil is enough to rattle my fillings, it's dead nutz on the money.

Good luck with it. That's some real good shootin' there...

Frank in Fla.

Oh yeah.... One more thing. Next time rotate the target before you scan it so I won't have to turn my monitor upside down to see them
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

mnhntr

LOL I will do that sorry. Thanks for the compliment on the shooting. The US Army taught me well.

Maxxwell86

Thanks for the compliment on the shooting. The US Army taught me well.
    I was in the Air force so I had to learn to shoot all by my lonesome...lol.

BAMA260R
    I shot my 260 LRP today for the first time. I loaded up some Sierra MK 140gr with some VT150 powder and some others with RL-19. I bore sighted my scope, and went to the range to get everything dialed in. The anticipation was killing me. I have had outstanding results with Sierra MK bullets out of my Tikka in 280 Remington, therefore I can't give them up. I smoked a bullet and established my OAL at 2.795 touching the lands. The Sierra load book listed a OAL of 2.765, so I loaded them at .030, .020 and .005 off the lands to see where the sweet spot was. I bought some Remington Core-Lokt 140 gr. to get me started and get my scope dialed in. I have never been more disgusted with results from a bullet. After the intial dial in at 25 yds, I went out to 100 yds. The core-Lokt's were giving me about a 6 inch group. Yes, that's not a mis-type, a 6 inch group. It was all over the place. I was seriously thinking I was having some scope issues, or a bad barrel. Yes, it's a brand new rifle, but this was pitiful. I decided to to see how my handloads would do, and I sent four of the .005 off the lands down range. I had to lower my impact point 6 inches between my hand loads and factory loads. My groups immediately went from 4 shot 6" groups to 4 shot 0.430" groups. That's what I was looking for from the start. The VT-150 powder seemed to give me the tightest groups over the RL-19. It seems that the .030 off the lands were the best group. As I said, they were all under .5" at 100 yds with the VT-150 and the RL-19 was at about .75". I expect the groups to tighten up more with more practice on the trigger break and the barrel breaking in. It looks as though my rifle just want shoot the Remington Core Lokt bullets worth a ****.

Funny enough, but core lokt 150 270 go pretty well through my Axis. I've never had much luck with either remmy or winchester in most of my rifles for tight groupings, with the odd exception of winchester partition sabbots running through my 870 shotgun with rifled barreled, I've had some groupings with it better than Hornady's SST--go figure?!