Thread: Success with my first reload!

Success with my first reload!

Well, I'm proud to announce that I successfully loaded and fired my first reloads: 6.5 mm -284 129 gr Hornady SST propelled by 43 gr. of H 4831. What a fantastic learning experience--and I look forward to learning more. Next on the menu will be some accubond and triple-shock loads. I'm waiting for my chronograph to get here before I extensively test the efficacy of the loads.

The best part is you lived to tell about it! LOL!!

It gets very addicting trying to find that perfect load........then always looking for an improvement on it.

Your chrono numbers will always be a lot lower, than you thought they should or hope they would be, but when you first start reloading all you should be concerned with is consistency, meaning not a big spread between you highest and lowest FPS numbers, I remember the first round that I had loaded and fired off, there are not to many things that duplicate that rush.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    The best part is you lived to tell about it! LOL!!

It gets very addicting trying to find that perfect load........then always looking for an improvement on it.
    Yeah, the OCD/addictive aspect is not lost on me--but I can blame the retail price of factory ammo for sending me over the edge. : )

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Your chrono numbers will always be a lot lower, than you thought they should or hope they would be, but when you first start reloading all you should be concerned with is consistency, meaning not a big spread between you highest and lowest FPS numbers, I remember the first round that I had loaded and fired off, there are not to many things that duplicate that rush.

Tanks Dean
    A rush indeed--very empowering. learned so much just by reading reload books and getting to know the dynamics of cartridges and why/how they fire. Some powder was spilled and a few primers went skittering across the floor, so it wasn't all flawless : )

jibben
    reload to save money? I think there is over $4,000.00 worth of equipment and supply's in the garage. Maybe half that in loaded ammo out there also.
    The search for "the load" can add up!
    A rush and let down at the same time is when the first load works.

Quote Originally Posted by jibben View Post
    A rush and let down at the same time is when the first load works.

THAT'S when you know you're addicted!!!! LOL!!! There has never been truer words uttered!

"Some powder was spilled and a few primers went skittering across the floor, so it wasn't all flawless : ):

That sounds like one of my everyday reloading sessions.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.