Thread: New guy with question on Axis ammo and scope

BlackHeart_HMFIC

New guy with question on Axis ammo and scope

Howdy!

Just bought an axis .308 and wanted to ask a couple questions. Bear in mind that I'm a total noob at this and wanting to learn. It's the first rifle I've ever bought for myself (bought a Savage 64F .22 for my son at the same time). My only other rifle is a 30/30 lever action my uncle gave me. Went hunting with it once and killed the first deer I seen with iron sights, so I might have a little potential. :)

Anyways, bearing in mind my noobness, has anyone here ever used Sierra Matchking 30Caliber bullets http://www.slickguns.com/product/sie...ipping-over-99 in the Savage .308 and did they work well? I ask because they are very cheap and I wanted to buy a lot of rounds to practice.

Also, what would you guys recommend for a budget minded scope for a noob. Something cheap until I (A) get better and (B) have more money. :)

BlackHeart_HMFIC
    I seen someone give this recommendation for a 223 in another thread: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...ssfireii2-7x32

They offer "dead-Hold BDC Reticles" and "Rimfire V-Plex Reticles", terms that are foreign to me. (See, I told you I was a noob) Would one of them be a good choice?

Edit: A video on that very page shows the difference between dead-hold and v-plex. Guess I just need to do some you-tubing.
    Last edited by BlackHeart_HMFIC; 12-31-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    For a good cheap scope the Nikon Prostaff is pretty good for the money. I picked on up at Walfart a few month ago. Paid $185 tax, tag & title - out the door. I like the nikon glass. The BDC reticle is a litttle heavy but works good. If the lines were a bit thinner it'd be perfect for a under $200 scope. the one I got is a 4-12x.
    That's my .02 & I'm a Vortex fan.

By the way, good luck with the new toy(s).
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

First things first, take the time to do a little reading in the Ammunition & Reloading - Standard Cartridges board and the Optics and Mounts board. Tons of information there to help educate you and help you make a purchasing decision. Second, the SMK bullets are a match bullet and not designed for hunting, so if you're planning to use this as a hunting rifle you'd be better served buying and developing a load for a quality hunting bullet (Nosler AccuBond or Partition, Sierra Game King, Hornady InterBond or InterFlex, etc). If you want cheap practice bullets, buy the bulk Remington or Winchester SP (soft point) bullets of a similar weight to what your preferred hunting bullet is, but you're really best served to practice with the exact load you'll be hunting with even if it does cost a few more cents every time you pull the trigger.

As for scopes, you haven't specified a budget or said how you'll be using the rifle so it's really hard to suggest or recommend anything specific to you. Easy answer is to stick with the proven name brands (Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Redfield, Vortex, Weaver, etc.) and try to avoid any of the cheaper brands you typically find at gun shows (BSA, NCStar, Millett, Mueller, Tasco, etc). For a fairly decent and reliable 3-9x scope expect to pay at least $100 for it, closer to $200 if you want a very good but still relatively budget friendly one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

First off BlackHeart_HMFIC, WELCOME to the forum! Lots of good people here I have found out.....

WOW....I'm hurt! MrFurious called my $450 Millett CHEAP! =

My pick for scopes are the Vortex and Millett line. I have 2 Vortex, one on a .223 and the other on a .308. My Millett is on a 7mm magnum and have not had a minutes problem with it. If you go with the Vortex, I would start at the Diamondback or Viper series.

I concur with MrFurious about the SMK.... not recommended for hunting, but I love them for poking holes in paper.
    Agree again about practicing with what you will shot, you know then what to expect.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Well, at least you didn't tell him to get a Barska....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

What's the matter with Barska?

Try not to skimp too much on scope money.....I've learned the hard way that it's better to buy once and cry than to buy 10 cheepos and find they just can't cut it. If I had spent the money right the first time..... I'ld already have a high end scope.

Get the best you can afford....then add a few more bucks and buy. Be sure to get good mounts and rings too.

Fixing to spring for my first NightForce in the next few months.........BTW don't overlook Nikon, a LOT of scope for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    First off BlackHeart_HMFIC, WELCOME to the forum! Lots of good people here I have found out.....

WOW....I'm hurt! MrFurious called my $450 Millett CHEAP! =
    The problem with Millet is that they're like the old Tasco in that they had their bargain basement garbage that was sold in every mom & pop gun shop and discount store across the country, and then they had their "good" scopes which were only available through select dealers. Of course now everything Tasco makes and markets under their own name is essentially garbage from what I've seen. To be fair, I haven't bothered to pick up and look through a new Millet in the last 2-3 years, much less shoot with one, so they may have stepped up their game and started offering some higher quality pieces. Even so, the NIB Millet's I see at the gun show each month all have a price tag of less than $100 on them so they're clearly still making a lot of garbage to.

With so many reputable brands out there with solid reputations, why take the risk on a more suspect brand name?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain