Thread: New Scope and Ring HELP NEEDED!

iraqvet13f

Question New Scope and Ring HELP NEEDED!

All Savage Shooters:

I purchased the Weather Warrior in 22-250, and a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 AO (Adjustable Objective). Bought the setup for Coyote Hunting and Target shooting at 300-400 yards.

Rifle: Savage, Model 16 FCSS / 22-250 / Detach Mag / Duel Round Receiver Top / New Style All Round Barrel Nut / I believe standard Barrel Taper (definately not a heavy barrel, nor medium heavy barrel)

Note: I have never have had a Target Scope with an Adjustable Objective, so Im not sure which way to go for this set up. The scope is quite long as well.

My question's for ya'll are as follows:

1. Will the Low Rings be high enough, or should I go with Medium Height rings?

2. What scope base / ring combo should I use on this setup?

Setup's I have been looking into:

- DNZ / Low or Medium Height?

- Burris Tru-Mount Base with Sig. Series rings and Incert kit / Low or Med. Height?

3. I measured the Objective Bell / Overall Outside Diameter: 2.061 inches OD (Divided by 2= 1.0305 inches / minimum base-ring height-based on center of the scope), just trying to figure proper and lowest bases rings for this setup / clearance issues?

Your input is greatly needed and appreciated!!

Thanks for the help (in advance)!
    Last edited by iraqvet13f; 12-31-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Well, it really depends on what brand/model of rings you choose and what base you choose as they're all different heights. The terms low, medium and high are subjective and there's no fixed height from one manufacturer to the next or even between different style rings of the same brand. If it were me and my gun, I'd go with an EGW Zero degree picatinney rail and a set of medium height Burris Signature Zee rings.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    +1 on the med Burris Signature Zee rings. I like 2-piece bases because it is easier to load and removing brass with my big fat fingers. I have found Weaver Grand Slam steel (#S46; #S402) or Burris Tactical Xtreme steel bases work best. Another plus is it is easier and quicker to swap scopes among Savage rifles with the Zee rings and bases verses dovetail rings and bases.
    Last edited by jpdown; 01-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Yeah, but 2-piece bases are a handicap with today's short scopes. If they even manage to put the rings close enough together to mount a shorter scope, you're not going to have any room to move it forward or aft to adjust the eye relief. Thus a 1-pc rail is superior. LOL
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    You are correct about today's short tube scopes which limited mounting flexibility, especially on a Savage LA. So good input for the newbie's trying to scope a Savage rifle. The Elite 4200 scope is longer and has more room than most, so 1-pc or 2-pc base set-up should not be a handicap in this case.

Basic Member
    With most "standard" bases and rings, you'll need medium rings with that scope due to the large AO on it. If you start putting in 20-MOA worth of Burris inserts, even mediums may put it onto the barrel with lens covers, though up to 10-MOA should be fine and the standard 0-MOA inserts will be just about perfect.

The one big exception to that is if you get into the "tactical" picatinny bases (which tend to be thicker) and rings (which tend to be higher).

Personally, for hunting rifle set-ups I like the Burris Double Dovetail 2pc base and matching Double Dovetail Signature rings in medium. Since the scope you're using has a lot of tube length, positioning with the 2pc bases shouldn't be an issue.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

Basic Member
    I would stick with the medium height rings to give enough clearance to use the offset inserts with the Signature rings. That Bushnell is an excellent scope but has a limited adjustment range so you may have to use the inserts. I ran into that problem and was using the Burris Tactical two piece bases and ended up hitting the barrel with mine so I had to make some changes. The rifle it was on though has a very heavy profile. I was using high Signature Zee rings with a 50mm AO so ended up getting a Warne Tactical one piece rail which is almost twice as thick as the Burris two piece bases and had plenty of clearance then. You shouldn't have as much of a clearance issue with that 40mm objective though.

iraqvet13f
    Well thank you all for the input!!!! JPDOWN: You are right: the Elite 4200 is VERY LONG... But heck, I cant complain, the wife got the scope for me...

I believe I will be going with the EGW 0 MOA Rail, Burris ZEE Rings (Medium), with incert combo!

Thank You all for your help and input...GREATLY Appreciated!!!! I will be back here again very soon. MANY THANKS