Thread: Fluted bolt body for CRF bolt?

MisterEddy

Fluted bolt body for CRF bolt?

I have a Model 11 300 WSM with the older staggered feed mag and CRF bolt head. I am assuming that the standing ejector will not be compatible with any type of fluted bolt body, as the ejector contacts the bottom of the bolt body as it slides back and forth.
    Am I correct in this assumption?
    Have tried searching and found very little on this topic.
    Are the only options for bolt replacement on this bolt type a standard smooth bolt, or is there another solution to deal with the ejector?
    Thanks for the help!

Good (original) question.

I guess in part it would depend on what kind of fluting you wanted (straight, spiral, SSS's interupted, etc). If straight or SSS fluting, it would be real easy to just not do that row or flute where the standing ejector would ride when pushing the bolt closed. The ejector is already depressed by the bolt when being closed, so at worst (with the SSS fluting) would be it might feel a bit notchy if there was a row there. Spiral fluting likely wouldn't work very well if at all.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I tried the SSS fluting on my (former) short action with standing ejector and couldn't get it to work at all. The standing ejector binds in the flutes. I sold the bolt... then the gun. I should have kept the bolt. It was awesome.
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

MisterEddy
    Is it possible to convert staggered mag to center feed with push feed bolt head? Is that even desirable?

Alternatively, I wonder if you modified the ejector blade to not contact the bolt, would it still eject reliably? The spring on the ejector barely holds it against the bolt, so would be interesting to test that out.

This is more of a mental exercise, the proper solution is to go with the PTG smooth bolt and keep the stock bolt head. I don't think PTG makes a CRF head, but am checking with them now on that item.