Thread: full resize or just the neck

leo158

full resize or just the neck

I am full sizing my cases and am very pleased with my groups at 100yrds. I can cover my groups with a quarter. I am useing 35.3 gr of 4064 and sierra 1365 bullets, 55gr bt soft points and cci primers. If I just reneck will I get tighter groups? This is for my hunting rifle on ground hogs and yotes. Also 3x9 prostaff nikon scope. Thanks all. Dan

Luckus

Re: full resize or just the neck

The only way to find out is to do it. My experience over the years is, there are no absolutes that cover every rifle. You're die may fit that chamber just right, the seater you are using may seat that bullet perfect. Dies and seaters have to be adjusted right to get the best results or each rifle. Even if you neck size, sooner or later you will have to full size to get them to chamber. If you are getting those kinds of groups you can hit accurately a long way out there. I would try different seating depths, different bullets and even powder and charges. I would advise a set of case length gauges, a runout gauge, and a bullet comparator nut. JMO Luckus

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

See post by Luckus....

He knows

I neck size all used brass until it won't chamber up comfortably. Then, I full length size them & the process starts all over again.
    The nice thing about neck sizing is you can get more use out of your brass.

Bullet length seating can make considerable differences in your accuracy. Try .005" at a time. Just remember where you started just in case.....

For something as simple as COAL, it's amazing the difference a few thousandths in length can make.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage

AND, change only "one thing" at a time!! You swap primers, powder, adjust seating depth, any or all of the above and you end up chasing your tail.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

nsaqam

Good advice from all the respondents so far.

I've settled on a die setup which includes a mix of different brands and this has shown to be ideal for my reloading needs.

I primarily use the superb Lee Collet Die for everyday sizing needs. If Lee doesn't make one for the cartridges I own I'll modify one of their standard offerings to work.
    I seat with the excellent Hornady seater. this combo routinely produces cartridges with .001" runout or less.
    When I need to FL size I use the Redding Body die prior to neck sizing with the LCD. Most FL sizing dies work the neck too much for my liking. The RBD doesn't touch the neck but sizes the body very nicely.
    Don't be afraid to mix and match your die sets for the best results.

I use a Lee collet sizing die for all my calibers with the exception of 338LM. If they do not offer the die in a standard size cartridge they will custom make them for you for $60-. I neck size until tight in the chamber then I use a Redding body bump die to bump the shoulder back slightly with out sizing the neck at the same time.

The subject of neck vs. full length resizing is one that there is no right answer to. Among the people in this industry that I respect, they are not in agreement on this subject, so I do what works for me. Between neck sizing and regular annealing the only thing that costs me my brass is loose primer pockets in the heavy magnums. I have .308 that have been loaded more than 30 times and still are none the worse for wear.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec
    I use a Lee collet sizing die for all my calibers with the exception of 338LM. If they do not offer the die in a standard size cartridge they will custom make them for you for $60-. I neck size until tight in the chamber then I use a Redding body bump die to bump the shoulder back slightly with out sizing the neck at the same time.

The subject of neck vs. full length resizing is one that there is no right answer to. Among the people in this industry that I respect, they are not in agreement on this subject, so I do what works for me. Between neck sizing and regular annealing the only thing that costs me my brass is loose primer pockets in the heavy magnums. I have .308 that have been loaded more than 30 times and still are none the worse for wear.
    A smart man!
    The LCD and RBD combo is the bees knees.

What do you seat with?

Luckus

I used the LCD and the Forster bump die for my 308 F Class. It worked well and fast. I use Forster dies for my 6 Dasher and am pleased wih them. Forster honed the neck of the sizing die to.2635 IRC and it gives me .003 neck tension and no expander ball. I use their mic, seater and life is good. Great products fairly priced and great service.

For seating dies I have a number of them Forster ultra micrometer, Redding Competition, RCBS Gold medal. I am partial to the Forsters.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

acemisser
    I have found no benifit in neck sizing other than maybe a bit longer case life.
    I still say I get better groups with full length resizing..But you have to
    decide for yourself,what is best for you..

I would keep full lenth sizing and start playing with different powders and bullets, you obviously have a nice tight set of dies stick with what works, even though full length sizing reduces the life cycle of the brass, I would rather have 5 good shots then 10 mediocre ones, me I full length size every time out of necessity but that's a hole other subject.

Tanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 12-16-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spellink

a quick try would be turn your sizer out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and that will leave your shoulder in place but size most of the neck and some of the body. Called partial sizing.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

helotaxi
    The problem with trying to partial size with a FL die is that it can move the shoulder forward as it sizes the body of the case. If you size the body at all, plan on having to push the shoulder back into position to get the case to chamber.

Isn't that why you "cam over" when full length size to bump back the shoulder?

Tanks Dean

helotaxi
    That only works if you have the die screwed down far enough. If you're just trying to partial size, the die isn't all the way down to the shell holder. If it were, you would be full length sizing. If you want to neck size only, get a neck sizing die. They're not that expensive and one will last your lifetime and that of your kids and grandkids.

Basic Member
    The Rifleman's Journal
    Basics: Resizing - Case Dimension Changes
    Resizing - Case Dimension Changes
    by: Germán A. Salazar

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...n-changes.html

Preparing Cases for Long-Range Accuracy

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ion-case-prep/

stangfish
    Going with helotaxi here. To set my full length die I use a lee cartridge headspace guage. I check the fired case and write that size down in a log book. I then start working the die down towards the shell holder sizing the brass. at first the headspace grows as Helo said then you start bumping the neck down. I stop when I get to .000 to -.001 from the original dimension. The brass shrinks a touch when it cools so .000 will give you room to close the bolt.

CJnWy
    With a 3-9 prostff scope does it matter?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by CJnWy View Post
    wow!
    drybean

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by CJnWy View Post
    Good Point!

Basic Member

full resize or just the neck

I always FL size.

Basic Member
    A little case humor which I think is funny.

The Rifleman's Journal
    Reloading: Short Headspace on New Brass
    by Germán A. Salazar

"I have very often found that unfired brass gives great accuracy despite the sloppy fit and often poor neck concentricity. I wish I could explain that, but I can't. Along those same lines, a world-class long range shooter whose opinion I value greatly once told me that the case should fit the chamber "like a rat turd in a violin case."

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    ..... a world-class long range shooter whose opinion I value greatly once told me that the case should fit the chamber "like a rat turd in a violin case."
    That right there would make a great quote for a signature. FGGM is proof positive.