Thread: elevation problems on savage 25 17 hornet

najones007

elevation problems on savage 25 17 hornet

I am very puzzled right now, I have 2 brand new model 25's in .17 hornet. The first rifle is a base model 22" barrel with synthetic stock, the second is a 24" barrel with laminated stock. I purchased the rifles from 2 different retailers from different parts of the state I live in. Both rifles have the exact same problem: when sighting them in they shoot 4" high at 75 yards and I have no more room on my elevation settings with the scope. I am having the exact same problem, with 2 different rifles, using 2 different scopes... I even put the lowest rings I could find on them. I am using the factory 20gr hornady v-max ammunition. If any of you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated because I am very frustrated at the moment.

Thanks,

Nathan

najones007
    I wanted to also throw in the fact that I am shooting up hill 13 ft according to my altimeter watch, I know this can be a factor, but how much?

najones007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    Ring height has nothing to do with elevation adj. What your poi at 100? Just gotta ask are you sure your going the correct way adjusting your scope? If you are only gonna shoot 75 yd or less your gonna need a set of rings,bases that will allow a +10 or 20 min scope setting. Your scope is gonna be taller in the front then the back , in relation to bore centerline. I hope this makes sense.
    I have no way of knowing what the poi is, 75 yards is as far back as I can go. Typically I get it zero'd there and then load several different charges and take it to the range where I can get it fine tuned and decide what works the best with the rifle. As for your second question, yes I am going the correct direction on the turret. And I will have to research your third last statement as I have no clue what you are talking about ha ha. Thank you for your input, I hope what you are suggesting works because it looks like from what I have read my only other option is to put a shimmy under the scope ring.

Can we get some detailed pictures? especially of the bases. Do you have the correct bases on them?
    More shooting, less typing.

najones007
    I will try to get some pics as soon as I can, but yes, they are the factory bases, same ones on both rifles. I am using low Millet rings with the windage adjustments, I double checked the bases and the mounts are on them correctly.

mcho
    I have the same combo of guns and have NO problem. I have a 6-18x40 Leo on one and a 2-10 Minox on the other and all is well. Hope you get it worked out and let us know what is wrong. Mark

Basic Member
    Okay forgive my ignorance please since i have not seen a 25 in person. Are the scope bases interchangeable, front and back? If so swap them. Worse case no change in your elevation issue. Best case....it changes things enough where you can no zero your scope at the 75yards.

Serendipity
    I recently purchased a Savage M 25 WV. I haven't had any issues shooting mine with factory ammo. I started out at 25 yds., moved to 50 yds., then to 100 yds. Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but if you remove the stock, tighten the front screw first, then the rear as per instructions in the booklet. I don't have a high end scope on mine. I mounted a BSA "Sweet .223" scope. Hornady claims the 17 HH has the same ballistics as the .223 shooting a 55 grain bullet. That's the reason for the Sweet .223. Let us know how things work out.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 12-29-2012 at 07:44 PM.